You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-4-2013 03:48:31  #11

Re: Typewriters in Television and Film

Film: Hitler's Secret Science
Typewriter: Continental...something.

This fascinating documentary about advanced Nazi science and weapons features several scenes of historical reconstruction, such as ones where secret memoranda are being typed up on old-fashioned typewriters. Here's a shot from the film: 

I'm not sure what the typewriter is, though. I THINK it's a Continental, but I can't I.D. the model-name.

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

10-5-2013 02:32:37  #12

TV Show: Modern Family
Season 4, Episode 21 "Career Day"
Typewriter: Olympia SM-3
Notice the position of the ribbon cover...slightly askew...

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

10-5-2013 11:14:09  #13

Amelia wrote:

Notice the position of the ribbon cover...slightly askew...

First thing I noticed...  
It was funny that you posted this one because someone was just telling me the other day how a character from Modern Family was using a typewriter in the show. Good photos.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-5-2013 05:33:22  #14

Film: Sherlock Holmes - A Game of Shadows
Typewriter: Underwood Standard

Dr. Watson (Jude Law) types up his case-notes and stories on an Underwood Standard typewriter in his study: 

TV: Two Broke Girls
Typewriter: Royal Model 10

Last edited by Shangas (11-5-2013 07:43:36)

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

13-6-2013 05:25:03  #15

TV: "Agatha Christie's 'Miss Marple'"
Episode: "The Moving Finger"
Typewriters: Take your pick, man...

Background: In this episode, the village constabulary is attempting to solve the mystery of who is writing a series of "poisoned pen" letters, which have led to multiple suicides in the local community. That explains the collection of typewriters at the local police-station. 

05-7-2013 19:36:55  #16

From The Magic of Belle Isle, Morgan Freeman says why he likes his typewriter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6m-EcfbCq8

Sincerely,
beak.

11-7-2013 08:02:11  #17

Film: "Attack on Leningrad"
Typewriter:
Klein Adler No. 2

In the Russian-English film "Attack on Leningrad", about the famous Siege of Leningrad during the Second World War, a Russian-English journalist is trapped in the city after failing to board the airplane designated to evacuate the foreign press from the city, to Moscow. 

She befriends a Leningrad policewoman, who gives her food and shelter. On her birthday, she gives her a Klein Adler No. 2. portable thrust-action typewriter as a present. 

12-7-2013 07:25:40  #18

The Lives of Others has typewriters all over the place. The Stasi agent uses one to record the actions of the people he's monitoring. The main character receives one from a contact in West Germany and it plays a central role in the plot of the film. Best of all, any member of this message board will recognize a bit of him or herself in the Stasi nerd who gives a briefing regarding the typewriters used by several East German writers. This guy has clearly gone off the typewriter deep end.

12-7-2013 07:36:27  #19

I had to watch that film once in university. It was a while ago, though. I forgot all about the typewriters in there!

20-2-2014 16:38:47  #20

Cartoon Network's "Adventure Time"
Season 5, Episode 20: "Shh!"
Model: unknown

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

Board footera