You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-2-2015 12:56:02  #1

Type Bar Stop Not Letting Slug Touch Platen

I just bought a 1955 S-C Silent Super. Everything works fine except for the 'a' key and 's' key. They strike the platen but require more force than all the other keys.

Upon instpection, I noticed that the metal tang (I'm calling this the type bar stop) at the bottom of the 'a' and 's' type bars his hitting the metal backstop before the slug is hitting the platen. With all the other keys this is the opposite. All the other keys strike well and leave a good imprint.

Question: Can the type bar be adjusted or do I need to file down the type bar stop (that metal tang on the near the bottom of the type bar) so that the slug will properly impact the platen?

I appreciate any help on the matter.

Thanks,

Robert

07-2-2015 13:58:07  #2

Re: Type Bar Stop Not Letting Slug Touch Platen

Hi Robert,

Yes, type bars can be adjusted. There are special tools, but patience and a pair of needle nose pliers work too. I'm stressing the patience part of the procedure; it's better to make 10 micro adjustments to get it right than several big ones. Use the surrounding type bars as a reference and try to find the point of the misalignment, then begin with gentle and very small bends to correct it. Good luck!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera