You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-2-2015 23:12:12  #1

Went to dinner and came home with two typewriters

Went to dinner at my parents' house and came home with two typewriters.  One is a Royal (not the QDL I was looking for) and looks like an FP model similar to the one Uwe has in his online collection.  The other one is a Remington Rand of some sort.

Where are serial numbers typically located on typewriters?

Last edited by colrehogan (08-2-2015 23:15:06)

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

09-2-2015 09:08:59  #2

Re: Went to dinner and came home with two typewriters

Oooh, exciting! Pictures please. Do they work? 

Serial numbers are in different places on different typewriters. Typucally on the metal frame which is inside the bit we can see, so you  might have to llook from underneath, or behind. Sometimes it's tucked under the carriage, so sliding the carriage might expose it. Uwe will probably know where they are on those typewriters. 

How brilliant. I'd LOVE that.

09-2-2015 09:11:28  #3

One way you  might find out more about them is to do a google image search - ie, on 'remington rand' - and follow the pictures that look like your typewriter back to their web pages. There are lots of blogs where people write about the different models - though, as Uwe says, just remember that not all bloggers know everything! You will pick up a real sense of what you've got, though. 

09-2-2015 10:04:37  #4

i will upload some pictures later at home.  I did a little searching, but haven't been able to match the Remington with any of the photos I saw.  I have a cover for the Remington, but the Royal doesn't have a cover or case.  I do not believe that either are usable, but might take a few sheets out to my car to try and see.  They are there for now as I have a lot of cats at home who would generate more hair in them than I could deal with.  I might have to use my dad's typewriter desk.  I think that is what it is.  When closed, there is a slanted area underneath.

Last edited by colrehogan (09-2-2015 10:09:56)

09-2-2015 10:58:08  #5

I just had a good laugh because I initially misread the title of this topic and thought it state that you took two typewriters to dinner. "Now that's a typewriter enthusiast," I said.

Congratulations on not one, but two finds!

If you have a FP, the serial number is under the ribbon cover on the very top left side of the frame - and is very easy to read. It should start with FP and then either the letter E, P, or S.

Difficult to say on the Remington without know which model you have, but I'd start by moving the carriage all the way to the left and looking on the right side of the machine that is normally covered by it.

If you post a few photos it will be very easy to identify your machines. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-2-2015 13:04:52  #6

There were actually two more down there, but I left the electric one in case mom needed it to type something.  The other one didn't grab my attention other than it was a Royal and it was that gold color from the 70's (that is what my mind registered).

09-2-2015 15:52:42  #7

OMG was it a Royalite El Dorado? You have no idea, we can't even SEE so many of these things over here. 

09-2-2015 16:23:22  #8

The Royalite was an early '60s model. If it was from the '70s then it was more likely something like the Safari:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-2-2015 18:38:20  #9

I should have taken a picture of it.  I think the whole body of the Royal typewriter is that gold color.

09-2-2015 21:26:29  #10

Royal serial no. : FPE-6324133.  Of course, one of my cats who must be where I am at all times, was there as i tested the machine.  This will be a challenge with regards to keeping these machines clean.  I forgot I can't upload pics here.  I will have to find a place to put them online.

Last edited by colrehogan (09-2-2015 22:30:13)

Board footera