You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-2-2015 10:17:49  #11

Re: Went to dinner and came home with two typewriters

So you have a 1957 FP with elite type. I think this was the first production year for the FP, and it's the only one that has a lever for a colour selector instead of a plastic wheel. The FP is a great typewriter. What colour is yours? There were size colour options, but the vast majority of them that I've seen are a two-tone grey.

Your ribbon colour selector should look like this:

And not like this (post '57):

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-2-2015 12:20:56  #12

My color selector is like the top picture except I think the colors hve worn away.  Same color body. Tan, I suppose.  I was trying to reset the Magic margins last night and think I got them sorted out.  I want to have an inch margin on each side.  It started out as less than half a page! I had some feline assistance.  I couldn't play with the typewriter for too long or else he might get mad and claw out the ribbon.  I tried to cover it up last night.

I knew about the secret button from playing with my mom's old Royal QDL white.  I need to take the Remington in so it isn't in my trunk, but the only surface that can hold these things is the big metal desk or the kitchen table.  I have to clear some space on the table. 

Any suggestions on what to do for an exclamation point? This keyboard doesn't have one.

I don't know if the body is a two tone brown/tan, but I'll look later after the game this evening.  Hockey takes precedence when there is a home game! 

Last edited by colrehogan (10-2-2015 13:38:45)

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

10-2-2015 12:39:36  #13

Exclamations are usually created by typing a period (.),pressing the backspace, and then typing an apostrophe over it ('). For typewriters that have a key with two periods on it (one lowercase, one uppercase), I've found that the uppercase period looks better with the apostrophe to create an exclamation because it's slightly offset.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-2-2015 17:38:21  #14

What does the secret button do?

10-2-2015 17:51:58  #15

10-2-2015 17:52:29  #16

It opens the lid on top.  I looked and the machine is two-toned brown.

10-2-2015 17:56:26  #17

Uwe, how does the Magic Margin work? I thought Ihad it working, but thought I'd ask.  I mean setting it and clearing it.

Last edited by colrehogan (10-2-2015 17:57:29)

11-2-2015 08:14:08  #18

Haha! Thanks Uwe, love that.

11-2-2015 10:32:41  #19

colrehogan wrote:

Uwe, how does the Magic Margin work? I thought Ihad it working, but thought I'd ask. I mean setting it and clearing it.

First, make sure you move the carriage to the left side of the right margin (or right side of the left margin depending on which one you want to set). Press and hold the Magic Margin lever for the margin you want to set (right side lever for the right margin). Move the carriage to where you want the margin stop, then release the Magic Margin lever. You can also just move the carriage to where you want the margin and press and release the Magic Margin lever, but ONLY if the margin is already set further to the right of the new position (for the right margin).

11-2-2015 18:32:21  #20

You're graphics made me grin Uwe! Helpful, clever, and funny!..Congrats on the typewriters!

Board footera