You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-2-2015 16:29:06  #1

Carriage return: Smith Corona Clipper

My carriage return isn't working on my SC Clipper. The mechanism seems to be working but isn't catching the platen to turn it. Can someone tell me how to remove the platen on the Cipper so i can take a closr look at the problem?

Thanks, Brad

09-2-2015 16:31:00  #2

Re: Carriage return: Smith Corona Clipper

Which generation Clipper, Brad?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-2-2015 16:31:57  #3

I think it's late 40's. It's a portable.

09-2-2015 16:34:31  #4

10-2-2015 03:37:07  #5

bhugh28 wrote:

My carriage return isn't working on my SC Clipper. The mechanism seems to be working but isn't catching the platen to turn it. Can someone tell me how to remove the platen on the Cipper so i can take a closr look at the problem?

Brad, you don't have to remove the platen to investigate this; indeed, that might make things worse, and it's a lot of trouble anyway.

The mechanism is all exposed. It's officially called the line-feed/carriage-return lever, and it's the line feed part that isn't working. Just look carefully at the action around the left end of the platen and you'll see that the lever also moves a little claw that grabs some teeth on a toothed wheel at the end of the platen. It will grab more or fewer teeth depending on the setting of the line feed selector, typically 1, 2, or 3 lines at a time. As you watch it work, you'll figure out what parts are not doing their job and that will suggest what you have to do to fix it.

Typically, something will be gummed up and not moving properly or a link will be disconnected or broken or a spring might be out of place or missing. Probably you will see the claw trying and failing to catch the teeth. Once you can describe the situation in more detail, if you still can't fix it, write again.

HTH and Good Luck!

Last edited by M. Höhne (10-2-2015 03:39:18)

Board footera