You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-2-2015 12:21:29  #1

Where can you get spare screws from?

Well, I have isolated the problem on my Splendid 33. The symptoms were that nothing associated with the right margin was working at all: margin-setting tab is stiff; margin release key doesn't work; the carriage often sticks when you get to the end and you have to sort of jiggle it a bit. The bell wasn;t working and it was in the process of sorting it out that I actually botghered to look underneath (I would have, eventually) and found the problem. This is the underside of the carriage: 

As you can see (I deliberately unaligned it to help you see), there is a place at the end where there should be a screw. The thing that is supposed to screw into the machine body is the rail that carries the margin adjusters, and probably does other things as well. 

The screw at the other end is also out. I looked on the Splendid 66, and the screws it has in this place are quite wide and squat with a flat head. Now the thing is, I would have no idea what to ask for or where to go. Can I just buy these things somewhere or were they only for typewriters? 

Thanks for any suggestions.

10-2-2015 12:45:14  #2

Re: Where can you get spare screws from?

Given you're in England, I'd wait to hear from someone like thetypewriterman (he might even have one to sell you). You need a very specific screw size, and it's well worth finding it instead of what I've seen some do, which is to force in the wrong size/type of scew to hold it in place. In my area we have a number of special fastener stores that offer a huge variety of screws. And of course there's always to option of ordering online, but to do that you'll need the exact specifications for the screw (size, thread pitch, length).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-2-2015 08:16:57  #3

Oh geez. Maybe I will just email him and ask!

20-2-2015 13:39:11  #4

Just to report that I did email Tom, the Typewriter man, and he is sending me the screws. Very happy. I'm also getting some grommets for a Lettera 22 I got, where they are gone and replced by screws. It feels good to have got some input coming in from outside, when I've been trying to be so damn self-sufficient! 

Still, I would love to be able to get this Studio 44 typing properly. If anyone on here has any experience with one of these machines I'd be really grateful. Tom is going to fix my Swissa (if it's fixable) later in the spring, but my budget is very limited - hence, I guess, all the broken machines that I managed to get so 'cheap' - so if I CAN do something myself, I would rather.

20-2-2015 15:57:52  #5

Tom is a good man to know if you're in England (or anywhere else providing he ships there). 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-2-2015 16:53:12  #6

Yes, we had a really nice email exchange. And when I do send my thing/s to him I will take them on the train, he says he's happy to meet customers at the station! Cheaper and much less stressful than shipping them, and only half an hour to get there once ypu're on the train.

Board footera