You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-2-2015 12:47:21  #11

Re: Remington Rand KMC

No, you're not.  I appreciate any help I get.  The Royal I have seems to be in better shape than the Remington and is easier to use for me. I respooled the broken ribbon on the Remington to see if it worked.  The ribbon is worn in places and is solid black.  What does the lever on the far left front of the typewriter do? For me, it is in the way when I want to use the carriage return.  In fact, the carriage return hangs up on it unless I press the lever down.

Last edited by colrehogan (14-2-2015 12:54:46)

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

14-2-2015 19:09:36  #12

colrehogan wrote:

...snip...   What does the lever on the far left front of the typewriter do? For me, it is in the way when I want to use the carriage return. In fact, the carriage return hangs up on it unless I press the lever down.

Beats me. I can't visualize what that might be except that it certainly should not interfere with the line-feed/carriage-return lever. Pic available?

16-2-2015 04:27:21  #13

I'm so glad I started this thread!

Colrehegan, I really can't recommend that US Navy video too highly. The way you hit the keys - including the position of your fingers and the direction FROM which you hit them - makes a massive difference. It's been kinf of thrilling for me to watch my own typewriters perform better and better as my typing improves, and it has made a huge difference to my 'work' - ie, computer - typing. 

The thing is, we *think* that we're "typing" on a computer. But typing on a typewriter, as I can now see, is more like playing a musical instrument...

22-5-2015 21:16:49  #14

What is the difference between the Remingon Rand 17 vs. the KMC? Is it just the presence of the KMC buttons/mechanism?

23-5-2015 09:28:34  #15

I have a couple or three model 17 Remington machines, but not a single KMC, so unfortunately I can't make a detailed comparison; however,  I believe the KMC is still a model 17, one that was fitted with the optional keyboard margin control feature.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-5-2015 11:31:26  #16

I was just wondering since the typewriter database didn't differentiate between them, but had them listed together with the word 'or' I believe.  I was trying to look up the year of my serial number again last night.

24-5-2015 11:58:56  #17

colrehogan: the archivist at TWDB recently moved the KMCs together into the "Remington" category:
KMC galleries at TWDB

I think that based on your serial number (J991414) your dating of 1946 is correct. My own 1948 KMC is in the database here.

My KMC was my first typewriter and I documented it in excruciating detail on my blog. You may also want to read Richard Polt's comparsion: KMC vs. KMM which has lots of interesting information and observations.

Board footera