You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-2-2015 13:14:05  #1

That Olivetti Studio 44

Hi guys sorry, me again. Bet you're all sorry I joined this board... So I have got this Olivetti and have now sent about eight hours on it - and it's glowing and beautiful, all excet the fact that it still doesn't type properly. The filth was absolutely stagering - dust, oil, feathers, insect carapaces, it was basically mud. But now it's kind of gleaming and much easier to see the workings, if only I could work out what I need to do.

Basically, if you use the black, it gives you the top of the letters and the bottom is stencil. If you use red, you get a bit more of the top half and you also, two rows u, get the very bottom of the black! Bonus. 

The thing was so manky it has taken me aeons just to get it clean enough to see how it woriks. I accidentaly dislodged the srawband, too, because on this machine it isn't in a grrove, it can just slide off. Which it did. I got it back on using one of my grandmother's infinitesmal crochet hooks. But though I have searched high and low and have scoured the internet, I can't find a single thing about adjusting aligment on a Studio 44.

The back of the case is smashed, and the left hinge is broken. The righthand carriage release lever and the thing that releases the paper bail are also a bit jammed. The carriage lock doesn't work because it just goes under the carriage.I am susecting that there was a cataclysm, but I am also determined to get it working again - it ALL but does, and I can see the lovely type... 

I even thought of getting the whole carriage off and having a good look but couldn't for the life of me see how to do that, either. 

Anyway, here are some pictures. Apologies that the writing one seems insistent on being sideways... And in the bottom one you can see that the cover is a little bent; clearly this machine is just ging to be a little bit wonky, and I'm very happy with that - as long as I can get it to work!

Last edited by KatLondon (15-2-2015 13:16:04)

14-3-2015 19:22:55  #2

Re: That Olivetti Studio 44

Richard Polt adjusted the alignment on my studio 44.  I couldn't find any instructions online either.  None of the things recommended for other brands of typewriter seemed to apply to the Olivetti.  I didn't ask him how he did it as I am totally new and probably wouldn't have understood anyway.  In my case it was because the caps were out of line with the lower case, but it might work for your situation.  I don't know if he gives out free advice, but it might be worth asking.

Last edited by Spazmelda (14-3-2015 19:24:49)

Board footera