You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-2-2015 00:24:38  #1

Replace broken type bar

Hello, I recently picked up a nice Royal Model 10 with the glass side panels. I knew it needed some work, but I discovered tonight that it has a broken type bar. The "J" bar is is snapped in the middle, with the top portion and the slug nowhere to be found.

I'd say I'm an experienced beginner at fixing typewriters, having done minor repairs on a couple dozen so far, including draw band replacement. I've not done anything this advanced, however. Is this repair hopelessly out of reach for a determined DIY enthusiast? How interchangeable are typebars? Would it need to come from another Royal 10, just another Royal, or perhaps another similarly sized desktop machine from another maker? (recognizing the font may not exactly match)

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer!

Thanks

Last edited by veggieguy (23-2-2015 00:24:50)

23-2-2015 09:52:11  #2

Re: Replace broken type bar

First of all, as you surmise, making one from scratch is not worth the trouble unless you are an apprentice typewriter inventor-machinist looking for experience.

Easiest fix would be to replace the broken typebar with one from another Royal Model 10 and it is fortunate that there are so many of them still around, including parts machines. I wouldn't bet on interchangeability with other models, though somebody else may have a definitive answer about that. So join the Yahoo! group TYPESWAP at <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TypeSwap/info> and ask for that part, with pica or elite size and including the manufacturing marks on the typeslugs themselves; these are the tiny marks cast into the slugs between the upper and lower case characters. You are already prepared for a typestyle mismatch but you might as well try to match. The actual removal and replacement will be a little fussy but it sounds like you can handle it.

HTH and Good Luck.

23-2-2015 16:55:10  #3

Re: Replace broken type bar

Thanks for the information and encouragement. I had not heard of TypeSwap before, but I will try it out. I appreciate the referral!

Board footera