You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-3-2015 11:17:50  #1

Missing key top, possible to cast a new one?

Hello everyone.  I am new here.  I have a nice Olivetti that is out for cleaning right now, but I'm thinking about acquiring a few more. 

We have quite a few antique malls around here and I found a Royal HH that was in great working order, except that it's missing the backspace key.  I did not buy it, but It got me wondering how one could replace a key without finding a similar typewriter for parts.

Has anyone here ever tried using a silicone molding material and epoxy resin casting material to mold and cast a new key?  Like, would it be possible to pry off this typewriter's shift key and use it to mold and cast a new key?  I actually have no idea how hard it would be to pry a key off and then get it back on without damaging it.  Is that even possible?

02-3-2015 17:09:08  #2

Re: Missing key top, possible to cast a new one?

Yes, it should be possible to prise a shift key off carefully without doing any damage.  Keytops are never moulded directly onto the keylevers.  They are always pressed into place when the typewriter is assembled at the factory.  I have never made a replacement keytop by moulding as you describe, but I am sure it can be done.  Other alternative ideas might be to obtain a block of plastic and hacksaw, file and polish a new keytop from that.  To produce the slot underneath for the keystem, you could chain-drill a series of holes with a small drill-bit, then heat the keystem and push the new keytop down into place, thus part-melting the plastic and producing a perfectly-moulded slot.  Possibly the best and easiest solution would be to take a similarly shaped keytop from a valueless broken 1980's portable and adapt that.  OK it wouldn't be the same shape, but maybe a black one wouldn't look too bad (assuming you have the green keyboard).

02-3-2015 17:13:58  #3

Re: Missing key top, possible to cast a new one?

Thanks for the tips.  I didn't actually buy the typewriter, but it did have the green keys.  The typewriter was marked $29 and I wasnt sure if it was worth that with the missing key.  I was trying to decide if it was worth going back to get it. 

Board footera