You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-3-2015 21:12:27  #1

Feed rollers and their issues

My 1939 Royal Arrow that I am trying to hard to make perfect, just loves throwing obstecles in my way. To my horror, it has flattened feed rollers that don't quick grip the paper correctly. And then it slides around. I can tolerate a hard or stiff platen, but flat feed rollers are intolerable. Does anyone know how to fix it? This is the 2nd to last step before the mechanical repairs are completed (the platen will probably never be done...) and I can feel the smooth typing... Not that it's not good, the Arrow is now one of my favorites. Neck and neck with my SM-4. So repairing this is rather important.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

13-3-2015 04:14:04  #2

Re: Feed rollers and their issues

Hi Ztyper,

Interestingly i have a Royal 10 with very flat spotted feed rollers. I have heard that if you can remove the bar with the rollers on it and then put the whole lot in a pot and boil for a while in hot water it might help.
Apparently this can soften the rubber and alow it to revert back to its original shape. I have to admit that i haven't actually tried this yet, but if all else fails it might be worth a go.
Good luck with your typewriter, let us know how you get along.

Cheers,
Alan.

13-3-2015 16:58:34  #3

Hmmm... That's an interesting suggestion. Not sure it will work though, but the feed rollers are still soft though. I might try it out.

13-3-2015 17:59:30  #4

Try very lightly oiling the paper bail rollers, the ones on the top of the platen. It won't fix your feed rollers, but 60% of Royal portables I have owned from that time had stiff bail rollers and this made the line spacing erratic. To see if this is the issue, try typing a bit with the paper bail up.

Last edited by JustAnotherGuy (13-3-2015 17:59:53)

15-3-2015 20:27:00  #5

I tried that, at it did sort of make them easier to move. But I have noticed that when ever the platen is too slick, the spacing gets all wonky on me. I think I need to recover the platen... Shoot, I had hoped I could get away with it, but it looks like I'll have to either do it myself, or sent it to JJ Short for $100+. Which I don't really feel like doing, but the sprays just aren't cutting it...

Board footera