You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-3-2015 22:25:46  #1

Help dating my Selectrics

Hi All!
I'm primarily a manual guy, but the Selectric has always been near and dear. I've finally acquired two that work real well. But dang if I can't figure out the serial numbers. Maybe someone here can shed some light?
The Selectric I number reads: 21-0776906.
The Selectric II reads: 26 4750531.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

17-3-2015 12:22:46  #2

Re: Help dating my Selectrics

The numbers you provided seem a little odd. Can you confirm where you got those numbers from? And that you read them correctly? When you lift the ribbon cover, the serial number should be engraved just left of center under the type ball, and the model number should be on a sticker just right of center under the type ball.

Your Selectric (21-0776906) is a type 6121 model. And your Selectric II (26-4750531) is a type 6126 model.

S
erial number:

Model number:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-3-2015 14:31:24  #3

I'll try to post some pictures, but the numbers seem to be coming from the metal rail in front of the typeball you are talking about. The Selectric II appears to have been made in Canada, judging by the sticker inside, which says made in Canada. The Selectric 1 sticker doesn't really say where it was made.

17-3-2015 14:32:26  #4

This is the Selectric 1

17-3-2015 14:33:36  #5

Here's the II:

17-3-2015 15:04:46  #6

Excellent photos. The country of origin makes a big difference in terms of serial numbers, so in the case of the Selectric II it now makes a little more sense! A photo of the model sticker might reveal more information.

Selectric II (26-4750531) Type 6126 = manufactured circa 1979.

With respect to the Selectric, are there numbers printed across the bottom of the black model label or on the right under the flexible cable? There will probably be some patent numbers there, but a more detailed model number would help. The "7X" reference in the top right corner is fairly vague. And to be honest, the serial number has me stumped. Does it actually state on the label that it was made in the U.S.?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-3-2015 15:27:17  #7

Unfortunately, no. Other than a whole bunch of patent numbers there is no additional information, and nothing that says "Made In" anywhere. Furthermore, it is the only sticker. There is no discoloration from a missing sticker on the other plastic cover, but that is not to say there wasn't one at some point. I pulled the cover off to see if there were any additional markings, and there are not. It's worth noting that all of the components, including the motor, where stamped made in the U.S. Also, the typerwriter was purchased from an elderly couple whose son/daughter worked for IBM back in the day, before the Lexmark connection, so perhaps it was a non-standard build? It's obviously a "baby" selectric with the small platen.

Last edited by Gr8tfulEd (17-3-2015 23:32:44)

17-3-2015 23:58:02  #8

Interestingly, this post has a somewhat similar machine and serial number:
http://dwabrenaissance.blogspot.com/2014/08/wonderful-11-platen-ibm-selectric-i.html

18-3-2015 11:16:34  #9

Gr8tfulEd wrote:

It's obviously a "baby" selectric with the small platen.

The Selectric was made in three sizes that I'm aware of, with either an 11, 13, or 15 in. platen. I have the two larger sizes, and would love to add an 11 in. model, but you don't see them as often; I suspect they weren't sold in the same numbers as the larger ones that were far more practical for office use.

18-3-2015 13:00:09  #10

Uwe wrote:

Gr8tfulEd wrote:

It's obviously a "baby" selectric with the small platen.

The Selectric was made in three sizes that I'm aware of, with either an 11, 13, or 15 in. platen. I have the two larger sizes, and would love to add an 11 in. model, but you don't see them as often; I suspect they weren't sold in the same numbers as the larger ones that were far more practical for office use.

That makes sense to me. I love my little Selectric. It's actually a little smaller than my Royal Empress (and with no carriage return, takes up a lot less room). In fact, as is quite proper I think, I've taken my gargantuen Selectric II to my office for office work: forms, enevelopes, labels, etc., and have decided to keep the "baby" at home for personal use! :-) 

As far as dating it goes, I'm just going to call it my "Mystery Machine" for now. It's likely mid-to-late 60's I would think. I'm not sure when they stopped the 11". 

Board footera