You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-3-2015 15:11:45  #1

Imperial Good Companion 5 draw band repair

So I have a 1957 Imperial Good Companion 5 Typewriter, I purchased it a few days ago on ebay. It arrived and I saw dismayed to find that the draw band has snapped. When I type, the carriage does not move and so the letters end up typing over one another. Since I have never repaired a typewriter before, I have really no clue what to do, or how to properly replace the draw band. I have read that people use fishing wire, but I'm not versed in the mechanics of a typewriter to be able to operate and fix it. Does anyone have a step-by-step guide, preferably with pictures?

23-3-2015 11:42:31  #2

Re: Imperial Good Companion 5 draw band repair

Step-by-step photos for your particular model? Maybe not, but it doesn't matter as there are plenty of drawband replacement repairs documented online that demonstrate the exact principle of what you have to do. If you follow any one of them you'll be fine.

As for using fishing line, that's what I use whenever I replace a drawband. If you go that route make sure that you use the stronger stuff. The type I use is rated at 40 pounds.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-3-2015 11:51:05  #3

Where would I be able to find a step by step guide? I haven't been able to find one with proper diagrams or pictures.

23-3-2015 12:28:53  #4

This might help, scroll down a bit to the drawband repair but a nice blog on the restoration of one typewriter https://myoldtypewriter.wordpress.com

Last edited by malole (23-3-2015 12:32:12)

Board footera