You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-3-2015 08:46:18  #1

Would anyone like to play a creative writing game?

I got my kids these neat little things called Rory's Story Cubes.  They have pictures on all 6 sides.  You roll them and use them as prompts for a story.  It's a lot of fun, even though I'm not much of a writer. I was thinking, if you want to play, I will roll the dice for you and post a picture.  You can write the story (on a typewriter if you wish) and post it.  You can arrange the dice in any order you wish.

Last edited by Spazmelda (31-3-2015 07:21:14)

30-3-2015 11:54:15  #2

Re: Would anyone like to play a creative writing game?

Sounds like an excellent idea! 

I'd definitely set a maximum word count for each story, and suggest that it has to be typed and a photo/scan of it posted. It will become an ongoing typecast within the forum!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-3-2015 12:13:24  #3

Fabulous! 

Here are the guidelines... Each story should incorporate all of the story cubes if possible.  They can be arranged however the author wishes, and interpretation can be loose (I.e. A picture of key does not have to mean a literal key, it can be unlocking, locking, secrets, imprisonment, or whatever creative link your mind makes). 

Each story should be approximately one page, no more than two pages.  Typewritten and either photographed or scanned.

You can ask me to roll the cubes fresh for you, or you can use a roll that has already appeared in the thread, just make sure your story is unique.  if the cubes are rolled for you, you may continue another person's story, or start a new one. If you happen to have your own story cubes (and I highly recommend them, great for kids and creative writing/storytelling) you can photograph the cubes and post your story.

I happen to have written one this morning and I will post it here in a minute.  In a strange coincidence, the main character's name is Uwe, but that is surely unrelated to any person we might know.

30-3-2015 12:20:56  #4

Okay, here is my first story, and please remember I am no writer!
Per Uwe's suggestion, I am adding that I composed this on my 1947 Royal Quiet De Luxe, which obviously lent the story a significant amount of grace.

First the cubes I rolled:

I typed my story on two half sheets of paper, because I think they are easier to read on a screen:

Next roll for anyone who wants to give it a try:

Last edited by Spazmelda (31-3-2015 19:44:20)

30-3-2015 13:16:06  #5

Tea? Golden Girls? "Betty White frolicking in a beautiful meadow"? You're right, the character has nothing to do with me! 

Excelllent work Spazmelda!  I found myself trying to match the cubes with keywords and passages in your story, and I have to repeat that this is a great idea; writing challenge and practical use for a typewriter combined, I suspect this will turn into a popular thread. I think each post should mention the machine that was used to type the story. I'll definitely give this a try when I have some free time!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-3-2015 14:31:08  #6

You don't like The Golden Girls?!?  Lol. Back before on demand and netflix and such, I used to have to get up in the middle of the night to nurse my oldest (as a baby, I feel I should add). TV was wretched in the wee hours of the morning.  Golden Girls featured big on those night time nursing sessions,

I'm glad you like the idea.  This isnt a very active sub forum, so I'm not sure I'm going to get any takers, but I thought it was worth a try.

Last edited by Spazmelda (30-3-2015 14:31:47)

30-3-2015 21:20:04  #7

Ooh! I'd love to give this a shot. I'm no great writer myself, but sometimes I do short little things to entertain myself. I'll try to get something typed tonight!

31-3-2015 19:39:46  #8

I can't wait to read it!

01-4-2015 21:21:09  #9

I'd be hard pressed to keep it to two pages.  Sounds like fun.  I have quite a few fan fiction stories ongoing.  I tried something like this over on the Fountain Pen Network, except one person started with a story idea and another would come up with something, and so on.  This was all done in the same notebook that was shipped around the world.  I know that I have a copy of at least my part of it.  I probably went off on a tangent and then had to bring it back to some semblance of a place where someone else could take it up.  If I recall correctly, mine was the last part of the story.  I must have freaked out the next person. 

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

01-4-2015 22:33:13  #10

What sort of fan fic do you write Elliot?

Board footera