You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-4-2015 17:05:18  #1

Question about jammed Empire typewriter

Hello typers -

I've just acquired an Empire typewriter;

It's a cool machine, but it has issues. First, it's got a "noiseless" style thrust mechanism, which on many of the keys has come undone:

This is easy enough to understand, though probably hard to fix.
What has me stumped is the fact that none of the keys will go down, thus none of the slugs will push forward into the platen. It appears that their movement is being prevented by a piece on the bottom of the machine. Here's the bottom:

And here's a closer photo, with the tip of the pencil resting on the piece of metal (the thick wire like thingy, shaped like an elongated oval:

This piece is positioned so that when a key is pressed, the arm presses down onto it and it prevents anything from moving. Is this a lock of some kind? I've gone over the whole machine and can't find any way to move it. Is it supposed to stop the bottoms of the arms from pushing down so that some other part pushes forward into the platen? I'm stumped. If there are any Empire experts out there, here's your chance to shine. Thanks!

02-4-2015 20:08:59  #2

Re: Question about jammed Empire typewriter

I'm no expert in any machine, let alone something as early as this, but to get things rolling;
The piece seems to have a similar function to the piece on a modern TW that prevents further typing when the right margin is reached.  So it may be worth looking at the margin settings and the margin release, if it has such things!

Sincerely,
beak.

03-4-2015 11:49:40  #3

Re: Question about jammed Empire typewriter

I actually managed to fix it, without really knowing what I'm doing. I stripped out all the keys and arms until I got into the guts of the thing. Once I took out a piece of the frame I was able to move the aforementioned oval shaped piece up and down. This won't make sense but: basically there was a piece that had to be in the fork of another piece, but was underneath it. I put it into the fork and now almost everything works. Still some tinikering to do but headed in the right direction.

Board footera