You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-4-2015 10:02:45  #1

Ebay Germany - DON'T!

Because it will just make you cry.

Seriously, monster Adler machines by the score, many for under 20 euro.
Olympias by the ton, cheap as chips.
Portables to send you screaming from the room....

when you get to the postage part.
But window(s) shop to your heart's content.

Last edited by beak (04-4-2015 10:05:02)

Sincerely,
beak.

04-4-2015 14:09:40  #2

Re: Ebay Germany - DON'T!

Conversely, I'm sure those in Europe look at listings in North America and say the same thing. Models they don't normally see, and at inexpensive prices, but still prohibitive because of the shipping costs (not to mention the gamble of a machine being badly damaged during shipment). I consdier all European-based auctions to have a starting price of $60 because of shipping cost and then I go from there.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-4-2015 19:47:32  #3

I guess it was just the shock of seeing so many beauiful machines for sale at prices I would jump at locally. 

I wonder how much a small container costs!

Sincerely,
beak.

05-4-2015 09:49:24  #4

Beak, it DEFINITELY goes the other way too! And the grass is always greener. It seems *deeply unfair* to me that Hermes of all models seem more plentiful and cheap in America than in England.

I REALLY want a Silent-Super that isn't all rusty and hasn't got any broken letters on it, too. They seem to be available for nothing on every street corner in America. And if you could get Royals over here the way you can get Olympias I'd be collecting them the same. (Maybe just as well, eh!)

Editing in to say that I think the serendipity element is part of what's great though... I know I'm lucky to live in a big city where there are lots of opportunities to collect in person, & I've managed to build an interesting and personal collection with a couple of US examples in it anyway. My Royal QDL is still in E'burgh but should be arriving by train in May if not April. 

Last edited by KatLondon (05-4-2015 09:53:01)

05-4-2015 10:40:13  #5

You're right, of course; this is why I still don't have a S-C Silent Super either, or series 5 of any kind!

Sincerely,
beak.

05-4-2015 11:00:27  #6

05-4-2015 14:58:08  #7

KatLondon, I feel it has to do something with the country of origin, and near by areas that affects what machines are available. I know how you feel, with a yearning for a typewriter that just doesn't exist near you. I've always wanted an Imperial 60 or 66 desktop. I love the big, industrial feel it gives off by just looking at it. Unfortunately, I've never even seen one on ebay here in the States, but they're everywhere across the Pond in Britain. Since S-C's were made here, they're practically worthless around this area, and never really made it to other places. Same goes for Imperial...

Oh, and there are a lot more Hermes over here, but every single one seems to go for over $150. It's insane. People have just heard that Hermes is a good typewriter, and then don't see that they're common. Perhaps I'll get my hands on one eventually...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

05-4-2015 16:08:36  #8

Ztyper, spazmelda got a Rocket for $40 the other day! I agree the Imperials are not uncommon over here, for obvious reasons. And the Olympias are everywhere. Which is great news for me. My Smith-Corona (which was the first of these models - the late 60s/70s ones are everywhere) was the first of that series I've ever seen for sale over here, and it was such a wreck and so badly listed that I got it cheaply enough - & then another suddenly appeared, looking much more pristine, a week later - for £100! Ah well. I can't complain. 

It's more than just country of origin thpough - clearly certain makes just hit it off here, while others didn't. Olympias, from Germany, are more common than Imperials, and Olivettis are also absolutely everywhere, while Hermes isn't. Adlers clearly did okay too, especially the later Tippas. The Silent-Super I got has a £, and no $. 

05-4-2015 18:02:41  #9

Smith-Corona, Royal, Remington and Underwood all had factories in Canada, so many were manufactured and sold here, many with the combination dollar and pound keyboard. Remington had a factory in Scotland, so 1950s models should be somewhat available in England I would think. Smith-Corona took over an Empire factory in England, but late in the game and the machines from that era like the Corsair are not worth buying.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-4-2015 18:52:09  #10

Kat, I did get a Rocket for $40(ish), but I haven't yet seen a 3000 for a reasonable price.  I haven't seen one in an antique mall at all (I haven't been at this that long though) and on ebay the 'buy it now' prices are goofy ($200-$350, even), and auctions seem to go up over $150 unless the machine has obvious serious problems.  Even on shop goodwill they appear to get bid up to the $150 range regularly.  There was a craigslist listing in my area for a Hermes Baby listed at $150.

Last edited by Spazmelda (05-4-2015 18:58:03)

Board footera