You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-4-2015 04:08:37  #11

Re: Ebay Germany - DON'T!

Ah  there you go, so my grass IS greener on the other side! And this is just what Beak meant! As Oscar Wilde so rightly said, comparisons are odious...

Uwe, that's interesting. It would be great to have a typewriter with both $ and £ signs. My Smith-Corona with its £ was clearly made in the US for export, but your factory info explains why the later ones are so much more common on this side of the Atlantic.

Last edited by KatLondon (06-4-2015 04:08:54)

06-4-2015 08:57:50  #12

I guess to solve this problem, we'll just have to vacation in the country where the desired machine is most common. So now I have an even greater reason to go tour Europe! But I'll have to wait until I have a lot more money to get that shiny Imperial 66...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

06-4-2015 09:07:12  #13

ztyper wrote:

I guess to solve this problem,..................

My day-dream solution is to visit a penpal in Germany and hire a big container.  Touring the local towns, I shall have a fun three weeks filling the container with impossibly wonderful machines, and send the lot back to Oz, selling the spares to pay for the ones I want to keep.
Actually, now that I type it out, this sounds like rather a good idea! 

More anon.

Last edited by beak (06-4-2015 09:09:40)

Sincerely,
beak.

06-4-2015 11:43:29  #14

Beak, that's a great idea. 

And I just 'won' an auction - i.e., I was the only one to bid - on a 1948 Remington Rand Deluxe Model 5, for 99p. (It is pretty beat up, and the seller was offering Royal Mail postage for £35 - only in the description did it say the buyer might like to do something about a courier... so I've initiated that discussion.) And it appears to have both $ and £ signs! Haha  

Board footera