You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-4-2015 20:20:00  #1

Guilty Pleasure Typewriters

Anyone got a typewriter that they like, even though they have no idea why they like it so much? A typewriter that is perhaps a little embarrasing?

For some reason, I just love this little Generation 3000. It is younger than me and was made in the 21st century. It is very poorly manufactured and is Chinese garbage. I don't know why, but it's growing on me and I find it entertaining to use!

12-4-2015 11:06:08  #2

Re: Guilty Pleasure Typewriters

Ha! Funny idea for a thread. I had a black-&-white Silver Reed Seventy that I bought because it looked pleasingly like a saddle shoe. But the guy who sold it to me packed it in only its case with a layer of thin bubble wrap, and forgot to lock the carriage... I did get refunded, and sold it last week for £4. 

12-4-2015 16:22:19  #3

Okay, I have to ask: What does a saddle shoe look like, a two-tone leather shoe? I've heard typewriters be described as many things, but I don't recall anyone mentioning that a particular machine reminded them of a pair of shoes... 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-4-2015 13:14:16  #4

Uwe, here are saddle shoes! Also, think Lucy Van Pelt. http://imgarcade.com/1/1950-saddle-shoes/

I note you have no guilty pleasures; I'm sure all your typewriters are ACTUALLY beautiful and wonderful...

13-4-2015 16:09:10  #5

KatLondon wrote:

I note you have no guilty pleasures; I'm sure all your typewriters are ACTUALLY beautiful and wonderful...

I actually gave the topic some thought and came up blank. On the surface I can't think of a terrible typer, be it poorly made or heinous in appearance, which I secretly like to use. Of course I own machines that could by their appearance or performance be described as abysmal, but I generally don't like to use them. I'll have to keep thinking about it because I'm sure there has to be at least one that fits the spirit of this thread.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-4-2015 18:39:40  #6

It doesn't get much use nowadays, but one of my favourites is a 1969 Royal 200. I can go pretty fast on it considering it's a cheap portable. They're not bad machines, just kinda... meh. I still love it though.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

14-4-2015 01:45:32  #7

Uwe I don't think a guilty pleasure has to be one that you actually like to type on... it could be one that you keep around for its looks, or because it was your first typewriter, or you wanted it fr some other reason, or something.

14-4-2015 11:13:18  #8

KatLondon wrote:

I don't think a guilty pleasure has to be one that you actually like to type on... it could be one that you keep around for its looks,

Well, that pretty much describes most of the Olivetti models that I own!

14-4-2015 15:52:39  #9

Hahaha  

14-4-2015 15:57:39  #10

As you mention Olivetti, despite I do like quite a few of them, my guilty pleasure is the Valentine, for its overratedness. Second is the Monpti, winning this by its far better case design.

Board footera