You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-4-2013 06:14:16  #11

Re: German WWII machines

Shangas wrote:

I was trying to discuss history, not politics. Perhaps I should just leave.

I agree. I don't see anything political here. It's history. In any event, the conversation had more or less run its course. 

An interesting thread. Thank you, Shengas, especially for the pictures. I had no idea typewriters of that sort existed.

I think Beak is correct about Jury-rigged originally being a nautical term. I believe it's derived from the French 'jour' for day; a replacement jury-rigged mast, or whatever, being only a temporary measure.

06-4-2013 06:38:11  #12

The only thing I'm trying to do is provide a historical context. Fortunately or unfortunately, by their very nature, typewriters are part of history. 

Yes, S.S. typewriters DID exist. Yes. The Germans used them. 

Were there any faked? I doubt it. For a number of reasons: 

1. It wouldn't be easy.
2. There wouldn't be a purpose. 
3. You have the real thing. 

Why would you bother faking something like that? Nobody's going to buy it. And if they are, they want the real thing. Your phoney baloney, which probably requires a new key, and a custom-made typeslug, which I'm assuming you'll either have to make yourself, or find someone else to make for you, will probably sell for a lot less than what you put into it, to falsify it anyway. So you're working on a loss. 

How common S.S. typewriters are these days, I'm not sure. On one hand, I suspect some exist as collectors' items, or in museums. But on the other hand, I'm sure that others were simply smashed, trashed and thrown away. Some might have been taken home to America, or England, or Canada, or Australia, as prizes of war.

Such things were legal back then. You filled out a form "Prize of War". So long as you could fit the item into a crate and pay the postage, you could send home your own war-souvenier, to anywhere in the world. No questions asked. 

That said, the S.S. was held in GREAT disgust by the Allied soldiers. So I suspect that not many of these typewriters survived purely because people didn't want to be tainted by their association. I remember an interview with one American veteran who said that, while they would accept the surrender of regular German soldiers and treat them with every respect of a prisoner-of-war, any S.S. troops they came across would be executed on sight. No questions asked. They hated them that much. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

06-4-2013 11:22:56  #13

Shangas wrote:

I was trying to discuss history, not politics.

Stevetype33 wrote:

I agree. I don't see anything political here. It's history. 

Really? Are we really going to try and hide political opinion by sweeping it under the history carpet?

You speak as if history was some sort of cut and dry, clinical, and purely objective collection of facts. History is everything but that. History is almost always biased, which is why one man's history can easily represent another man's lie. The recording, interpretation, and re-telling of historical facts is something that has always been tainted by political beliefs and the perceived truths of the society you grew up in.

History, and its underlying political influences, is a messy subject. This is a typewriter forum, and I assume that we're all here because we want to discuss typewriters, which of course includes their history, and not to read an opinionated treatise on "Nazi ideology." Like it or not, when you use the words Nazi and ideology in the same sentence you're discussing a political subject - or political history if you want to be more specific.

The reason I asked that we avoid political and religious commentary is because the introduction of those two subjects is the easiest and most common way to turn a pleasant discussion into a heated argument, which is what this thread is beginning to demonstrate.

The original post and subject of this thread was how to distinguish between a fake and real typewriter that features SS runes. No one asked that someone verify whether or not they actually existed, because the OP (original poster) already knows that they did. No one asked whether or not these typewriters are being faked, because it's a well documented fact that they are, which is why I addressed and answered the OP's question in my first post here.

If you have to ask why they would they be faked, then you probably aren't very well versed on this particular subject. They're being faked for the same reason a Rolex watch or a Gucci handbag is faked, because it's possible to swindle someone who isn't knowledgeable out of a substantial amount of money. And just like those who fake brand name products, those frauding the buyers of SS typers don't need to invest a lot of money in order to create a fake machine. 

Look, the bottom line is very simple: all I'm asking is that we stick to discussing typewriters. I'm not asking anyone to understand, nor do I expect anyone to understand, but there were a number of comments made in this thread that I took exception to and vehemently disagree with. Some of them even upset me. And that's not something that I'd expect to happen when I visit a forum that deals exclusively with typewriters. We need to keep in mind that this is an international forum, and that the sensibilities of those using this forum can differ greatly from one person to the next.

Stevetype33 wrote:

I think Beak is correct about Jury-rigged originally being a nautical term. I believe it's derived from the French 'jour' for day; a replacement jury-rigged mast, or whatever, being only a temporary measure.

My point was that the correct spelling for the expression that describes a temporary repair intended to keep something working is jury-rigged, NOT "jerry-rigged", and that the expression didn't originate in the 1940s. There WAS another expression known as "jerry-built", and it looks like Shangas combined that expression with jury-rigged. I was merely pointing out that his historical explanation for the expression jury-rigged was incorrect.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-4-2013 14:20:08  #14

Uwe wrote:

Really? Are we really going to try and hide political opinion by sweeping it under the history carpet?

No carpets here. You could easily say that the price of bananas is a political issue. If you cast the net that wide, any definition of what constitutes a political discussion becomes meaningless.

Uwe wrote:

Look, the bottom line is very simple: all I'm asking is that we stick to discussing typewriters.

The conversation was substantially about typewriters.

I suggest you now let this thread die a natural death. As it would have done anyway.

06-4-2013 15:07:37  #15

Stevetype33 wrote:

No carpets here. You could easily say that the price of bananas is a political issue. If you cast the net that wide, any definition of what constitutes a political discussion becomes meaningless.

Just how small does the net have to be to satisfy your definition of political discussion then? Are you seriously telling me that all the comments made in this thread concerning Hitler's policies, Nazi ideology, anti-government propaganda, and the conscription of female workers were as vaguely political as discussing the price of bananas?

It's easy to be dismissive of something that doesn't hold any importance to you, but maybe you could consider how some of those apparently non-political opinions might be received by those with a more initimate interest in the subject? 

Stevetype33 wrote:

The conversation was substantially about typewriters.

Most of this thread had absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question about how to identify a fake from an authentic World War 2 era typewriter. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-4-2013 16:07:26  #16

--- --- --- 

Why on earth would I try to do that? The rules already clearly stated that political discussion was discouraged. So why should I bother to try and introduce it? The ONLY reason I mentioned the things that I did was to try and give a historical background to the world in which these machines existed. And what might have caused their rarity, and which might therefore have encouraged their being faked, or not, as the case may be. I stand by what I said, because it's true. I was discussing history. Not politics. You may read into that what you wish. But I refuse to be called a liar. 

I don't profess to know everything, since nobody ever does. I don't even profess to being entirely correct. But I will state that I did not enter this thread with the express or even implied purpose of discussing anything the least bit political and I take offense at that suggestion. 

If what you want me to do is to admit I was discussing politics...then I won't. Because I wasn't. If you want me to change the subject, then I'll be happy to do so. I've already said everything about the topic that I wanted to, anyway. There's nothing else that I can say about this. And I still fail to see why these comments should've kicked up such a storm. Maybe I'm stupid, but that's how I see it. 

Last edited by Shangas (06-4-2013 17:13:42)

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

06-4-2013 20:09:01  #17

Dear me!

For what it's worth, I saw nothing but relevant history.  But we do have a reminder of the dangers of politics and religion - they can spark discord from out of thin air, just by the shadow of the suggestion of the possibility of their presence.

History itself is the story of politics in one form or another, you might say.

As a request from the OP and a newcomer, can I ask that this debate be dropped by both sides.  I would appreciate it greatly.

Sincerely,
beak.

06-4-2013 20:27:36  #18

I only mentioned what I did to provide background information and context. Absolutely nothing more. And certainly nothing less. That objective being achieved, I'll leave it at that. Beak, I apologise for the disruption. 

06-4-2013 21:00:04  #19

No problem!  Apreciated it all.

Sincerely,
beak.

18-4-2013 01:59:38  #20

And here's another turned up on EBay.  Any thoughts?  Looks like a very well kept machine!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/German-Olympia-Robust-Portable-Typewriter-w-wooden-case-Special-Edition-/370796624858?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5655337bda

Last edited by beak (18-4-2013 03:26:28)

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera