You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-4-2015 08:43:56  #1

One door closed, and other door opened!

One opportunity lost, but another appeared!

I’m still lamenting the loss of that small Royal Model P to the key-chopper lady. I really can’t be angry with the shop owner, since he’s in business to turn over merchandise and earn a profit. He was indifferent to the fate of the Royal, thinking a sale is a sale, and I really do understand that. I did get him to promise that he would call me first when he got typewriters in the store. Whether he will or not remains to be seen. It isn’t as if I have a “collection” of machines or even that I know a lot about typewriters. I only own three so far. The two ancient Remingtons, a Model 10 and a Model 17, that came from great-grandparent’s attic and my little Brother Charger 11 that I bought on eBay for under twenty Dollars. The Charger is the one I have here at college.  It took a lot of cleaning to get the Brother looking nice. It was filled with white greasy dust from the correction ribbon. I installed a standard black/red one instead.

It’s very strange how these pieces of old technology can get under your skin. Perhaps I’m over-imaginative, but sometimes I find myself wondering about the previous owners, or where the machines were and how they might have been used. I know from whence came the two Remingtons, and the offices from which they came, and how they were used since they were and always have been, family machines.  

With Mother’s Day approaching, Wayne and I decided to check out the local antique, thrift, “fynne junque,” and plain junk shops. Wayne’s mom collects things called nanny pins which are broaches that have small cylinders as part of the design, and these cylinders contain pins, needles and small amounts of thread. Apparently, in the days when people had nannies, the nannies sometimes needed to make flying repairs on the clothing of their small charges. Had I a nanny, she would have been a busy woman indeed. We didn’t find a nanny pin but I did find two pieces of silver flatware in our family pattern that I know my Mom will appreciate.

Then, in a shop I would least expect to see one, there was an old Royal sitting on the floor! Wayne looked at my face and said, “Dude, you look like Lucas Till just asked you out on a date! Buy the thing!” So I did. For forty Dollars. I’m not experienced enough to know if that was too much or not. But as Oscar Wilde said, “A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.”

The lady in the shop was very honest and told me “It doesn’t work at all. None of the keys work except the spacer thing.” I borrowed her small shop vacuum and got the major dirt and dust and cobwebs off the machine, and tested everything I could think to test, and with the exception of the keys, everything seemed to operate. The “bongo tops” were still there, although the right one is missing it’s lip catch, and it still has original Royal metal ribbon spools. The ribbon is toast. Literally. It’s crispy! The sector is grungy looking but not rusty, and I’m thinking the key problem is that the machine may have been over-lubricated and is just gummy. I can lift the key heads and the keys depress with the movement, but the heads won’t fall back into place, and everything is very stiff.  I smell denatured alcohol in my future.

The really cool thing is, the lady knew the provenance of the machine! It came from the estate sale of a lady in the area, and her husband had worked for the Lehigh Valley Railroad as a switch tower operator. I got the phone number of the daughter who liquidated the estate and she told me her dad bought the machine from the railroad company when “CTC” was installed and switch tower functions were made obsolete. She had used the machine in high school and then it had been “in the shed for thirty years at least.”  I did the math and I’m betting the Royal has been out of service for closer to fifty years.

So here are some pictures, pre-amateur-restoration. Just dusted off and blown out. My fourth typewriter!

ROYAL MODEL KHM
Serial number KHM2163670

Last edited by The Cabin Boy (21-4-2015 09:16:48)

Rick

"I'll wrestle you for that typewriter."

21-4-2015 09:50:21  #2

Re: One door closed, and other door opened!

Nice, you will have fun cleaning that guy up for sure.  If you have time, I'd love to see progress pictures as you go.

I recently cleaned up a Woodstock and I had a lot of luck getting the gleam back in the paint job by using car polish to clean it first, and then car wax to shine it.

Last edited by Spazmelda (21-4-2015 09:50:45)

21-4-2015 11:23:15  #3

That looks like a good deal to me! Lovely machine.
And great that you could find out a bit about its history. I always wonder about the previous lives of my typewriters.

Last edited by malole (21-4-2015 12:12:24)

22-4-2015 10:10:40  #4

Oops.  Looks as if I posted this in the worng topic. Apologies to the moderators. I'll learn.

Rick

22-4-2015 18:37:56  #5

Good luck on your cleaning project! Once you're done, this machine will most likely be your favourite. Royal desktops are among the best.

And I thought I was the only one who wondered about the previous lives of my typewriters. I love it when they come with a story, or if I find a shred of its past. Like how on the bottom of my Royal Arrow, I found "Colbert" scratched on in two places. Or when I recieved two machines from a friend's mother whose father worked as a librarian at a local college. Apparently they were used there from the 60's to the mid 80's. My favourite story by far, is about my 1952 Royal KMG. I spent almost an entire day at my local library trying to find out more about it's history. Apparently it was used by my high school (where I found it in the back of a closet) when the school moved to its current building back in the late 50's. I even found the name of the secretary who used it. That was pretty cool.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

23-4-2015 13:55:24  #6

There is an address that someone taped to my Royal FP at home.

When you are discussing using denatured alcohol to clean these machines, how are you doing it? With cotton swabs? I am curious as to how one would clean a typewriter.

And, Uwe, how much typing do you do a day?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

23-4-2015 14:36:31  #7

colrehogan wrote:

When you are discussing using denatured alcohol to clean these machines, how are you doing it? With cotton swabs?

Unless a machine is so filthy that it needs to be dunk cleaned, I 'detail' them using a number of different cleaning products. Varsol (mineral spirits) for all the mechanical metal components, Hertel Plus (a safe but powerful cleaner and degreaser) for the painted and plastic bits, and rubber rejuvinator to clean and restore the platen and feed rollers. A lot of the time I use cotton swabs because they can get into the tight and hard to reach areas. I buy Q-Tips in bulk, 1,500 at a time, and go through them very quickly! For larger surfaces I use microfibre clothes or paper towels depending on what I'm cleaning. 

colrehogan wrote:

Uwe, how much typing do you do a day?

On average, I'd have to guess around 1,200 words. It's actually tough to say as I usually have around ten machines on the go with partially typed pages in them. For NaNoWriMo 2014 I typed over 60,000 words (200+ pages) in three weeks using the same SG1. Incidentally, I put a fresh ribbon in the machine at the start of the event and it's still going strong.  

This post sort of explains it all a little: http://thehackjob.blogspot.ca/2013/07/multitasking.html

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-4-2015 18:32:15  #8

Fascinating! I enjoyed reading your blog post.  I'm not familiar with rubber rejuvenator.  Where would you look for a product like that?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

24-4-2015 05:27:34  #9

I found rubber rejuvenator on Amazon.  The brand I got was called Rubber Renue.  It's very smelly, so best to use outside.

24-4-2015 10:05:39  #10

I will definately post some pictures of the work-in-progress as I go along. The way things are shaping up for the end of my semester, all my time is going towards finals and getting ready to head home. The restoration of the Royal will have to be an over-the-summer project.

I don't know what brushes and tools I'll be using but will add everything I can into my posts. At home are still the Remington 10 and 17 awaiting "treatment."

Rick

Board footera