You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-4-2015 11:08:32  #1

Olympia Traveller aka rebranded Unis tbm?

Hi everybody,

I'd like to discuss something that I have noticed on a white single-color Olympia Traveller and I wanted to share that with you.

So far, I thought the Traveller was licenced to Yugoslavia to serve the eastern European market. Read that somewere. Now, on that white Traveller I recently got, the inner aluminium frame is marked TBM. So it seems this machine was produced in Yugoslavia and then imported back to Germany (the keyboard is German). As this machine had been openened and repaired or serviced before, I first thought maybe only the original Unis spool cover might have been replaced by one from a proper Olympia machine. However, there is also a plastic Olympia sign attached to the back plate of the carriage, which looks pretty original, and no manufacturer plate on the base back plate, only the two tiny holes are there. The tbms do have their plates. The serial number of that white Traveller is 15-5571311, my two UNIS machines are and 15-6072031 and 15-4501540. The database listing for SFs ends in 1979 at 4346502. Am I right to assume that the 15 stands for production at TBM in Sarajevo? My Wilhelmshaven-made Splendid and SF have a leading 95. Should I assume these three machines were all build after SF production in Wilhemshaven was finished? I previously had another UNIS with a significantly lower, six digit serial no that would have fitted in the SF scheme.

By the way, the other day I saw this machine (not sure if it was Oly or Unis, I think Oly, though) with a turkish keyboard. An old gentleman from the neighbourhood dropped in with his machine, the ribbon vibrator not working properly. I was happy to be able to help him by inserting the ribbon the right way and brushing out some dust from the vibrator joint on the right

Looking forward to reading your ideas on this!

23-4-2015 12:02:42  #2

Re: Olympia Traveller aka rebranded Unis tbm?

kpropaganda wrote:

So far, I thought the Traveller was licenced to Yugoslavia to serve the eastern European market.

Yugoslavian-made Olympias were sold internationally. It's an extremely popular practice today, but I believe that it was a cost savings measure to have the machines produced outside of Germany.

kpropaganda wrote:

The serial number of that white Traveller is 15-5571311, my two UNIS machines are and 15-6072031 and 15-4501540. The database listing for SFs ends in 1979 at 4346502. Am I right to assume that the 15 stands for production at TBM in Sarajevo? My Wilhelmshaven-made Splendid and SF have a leading 95. Should I assume these three machines were all build after SF production in Wilhemshaven was finished? I previously had another UNIS with a significantly lower, six digit serial no that would have fitted in the SF scheme.

If I understand you correctly, you're wondering if the prefix number is a factory code, more specifically, the 15- prefix was used for Yugoslavian machines. I like the theory, and it's something that I've wondered about myself. However, looking at my own database, it lists one Traveller with a 15- prefix that was manufactured in Wilhelmshaven, which incidentally is a newer machine than the two Yugoslavian models I own. I think that it would be worth finding that particular typewriter to confirm that I didn't make a mistake when I entered its information into my database.

I've also noted that other SF-based models in my collection use a prefix other than 95- and 15-. An early SF and a Splendid 66 both have a 5- prefix.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-4-2015 14:31:41  #3

Thank you!

Do you know wether there is any reference for the age of the UNIS machines, based on their serial numbers?

I'll have another Traveller soon, a AEG branded de Luxe. I guess that one will be Yougoslavian too, see last page here http://typewriters.ch/files/manuals/AEG-Olympia-Traveller_manual.pdf. My sold TBM had the number 15-85133.

Interesting investigation, though )

23-4-2015 14:54:22  #4

You're right, it is interesting.

Those prefixes have bothered me for the longest time as such numbers typically have a relevant meaning. On some makes they are used to indicate the platen size, on others, like with IBM, it was a factory code. I've haven't bothered - yet - to dive into this with Olympia machines, mostly because I'm always preoccupied researching other mysteries that I've come across. I'm sure that someone else has already figured all of this out, but in the meantime I'll have to look over my Traveller models again and verify what I claimed in my previous post. I know that I've noticed them before, but where is the TBM stamping in the machine?

Robert Messenger has some useful information on the Unis on his website, but I disagree with some of his comments later in the post regarding the Olivetti and Nakajima Olympia.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-4-2015 16:49:45  #5

For the UK market , UNIS-made Travellers (branded as Olympia) have the metal plate missing on the back - just the two empty rivet holes.  Very late machines have a simplified bail bar - just a folded white painted metal strip printed with a scale - no bail rolls.  If you look at some of the aluminium castings inside the machine, as well as the UNIS TBM logo there is often a circular mark with what I assume to be a year date in the middle, often '86'.  Of course a batch of machined castings might have lasted the factory a few years before the next batch was cast, but this is some sort of age indication.  Very early UNIS machines had a similar date of manufacture moulded inside the plastic carry case lid.  This was soon deleted - obviously too much of a giveaway !  Finally, I am convinced that the Traveller 'S' with the fixed tabulator is entirely a UNIS concoction and was never made by the German factory at any time.

23-4-2015 17:13:05  #6

thetypewriterman wrote:

For the UK market , UNIS-made Travellers (branded as Olympia) have the metal plate missing on the back - just the two empty rivet holes.

I have three UNIS-made made machines, and the two earlier ones, 1977 models, have the plate riveted to the back whereas the later one, an early '80s model, doesn't.

That's interesting information concerning the date stampings and will give me something else to look for when I start digging out my Travellers. I agree that using such markings to date a machine can be - at times - very inaccurate. This is especially true for situations in which the travel case was manufactured by another company and supplied to the manufacturer in bulk. Then again I've seen too many "collectors" apply manufacture dates to machines based on even sketchier information...

Board footera