You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-4-2013 18:17:13  #1

Finding a Princess

After seeing Amelia's Princess, I'm keen to get my hands on one. However, this is one of the few makes of typewriter that never seems to make it to the UK market (I'm mostly talking eBay). I've never seen one for sale here. I wonder why? Has anyone else noticed regional differences in availability of this or other brands?

05-4-2013 19:23:44  #2

Re: Finding a Princess

This is pretty common. Some machines/brands are easier to find in certain countries/areas than others. 

For example, I live in Australia. 

Here, we have plenty of Royals, Remingtons, Underwoods, and Imperials. Olivettis and the odd L.C. Smith/SmithCorona. 

But you won't see things like Continentals, Woodstocks, etc. I have seen the occasional German typewriter in Australia, but they were mostly brought back during/after WWII by returning Australian soldiers. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

06-4-2013 06:49:18  #3

I see what you mean. Then as now, most manufacturers would have had their own target territories.

But I'm still surprised by the apparent lack of Princesses in the UK when they seem to be not-uncommon in the USA. You would have thought that it would have been as easy to export to one country as the other.

Then again, this disparity might be imaginary; perhaps due to the fact that most people hang onto their Princesses in the UK. eBay sales might not be the best yardstick to use.

06-4-2013 16:18:22  #4

Countries that imported typewriters were likely to import the ones from the BIG companies which were making names for themselves, in one way or another. But there may be other reasons. 

For example, Australia is a former British colony. So one of the main typewriters you find around here is the Imperial. I've seen loads of them. But you won't find any of the domestic American brands, for example Woodstock, or Smith-Premier...I've seen a couple of Oliver 'batwing' typewriters, but not many. 

But we see enough Underwoods, Royals and Remingtons, the three big famous manufacturers. But MOST of the typewriters in Australia, from what I can see, are the fugly postwar 1960s/70s models, which I wouldn't touch with a barge-pole. 

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

06-4-2013 18:14:46  #5

The 'batwing' Olivers are strange beasts. I've been so close to getting one on a number of occasions.

Now that I've looked properly I realise that many Princesses in the UK are branded as 'Scheideggers'. None as nice as Amelia's however.

And guess what? I just bought one (a Scheideggers that is). It was a gamble, as the picture was not great, but it was going very cheap and a local pick-up, so no postage. We'll see what happens...

06-4-2013 18:18:15  #6

Oliver batswings are fun, but for my purposes, impractical. I type so fast that all those drop-down hammers would just jam up on me in no-time at all. 

I look forward to photographs of your new machine  

And it is annoying - typewriter models changing names from country to country. 

06-4-2013 21:38:47  #7

Stevetype33 wrote:

After seeing Amelia's Princess, I'm keen to get my hands on one. However, this is one of the few makes of typewriter that never seems to make it to the UK market (I'm mostly talking eBay). I've never seen one for sale here. I wonder why? Has anyone else noticed regional differences in availability of this or other brands?

eBay has 3 in Germany that have the "Make Offer" option and there's a Scheidegger Princess-Matic in Ulverston, UK.

There are also 3 on Etsy (2 in Germany, 1 in the US), but at exorbitant prices.

Post pictures of your Scheidegger when you get it! On a side note, how much did you pay? (if you don't mind disclosing)

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

07-4-2013 08:51:27  #8

Amelia wrote:

eBay has 3 in Germany that have the "Make Offer" option and there's a Scheidegger Princess-Matic in Ulverston, UK. 

Thanks for looking. There's a couple on sale in the UK, the Ulverston one and another in Wales, but neither are very inspiring. And I think they're both quite expensive for what they are.

Amelia wrote:

On a side note, how much did you pay? (if you don't mind disclosing

It cost £10. For that money I thought I might as well take a chance. I'm going to pick it up later in the week.

07-4-2013 23:13:11  #9

Wow, what a great deal! I would have taken a chance too. 

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

08-4-2013 13:35:21  #10

Bah. It turned out to be a bit of a dud. Though it's a solid-enough machine and in good condition, it's not a keeper.

Even after having a close look, I'm not sure who made it. I thought it might be a Princess on account of Scheidegger's association with the brand and the presence of a small crown logo on the front, but there's nothing else to indicate who might have manufactured it beyond a 'Made in West Germany' sticker.

Some text near the paper-feed reads 'International 2000', if that's a clue.

It's also much larger than I thought and weighs a ton!

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance, but this one may be bound for a charity shop.

Board footera