You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-4-2015 17:51:14  #1

The funny little guy protecting the Japy's heart

Hi everybody,
when working on my Japy Personelle recently, I found this cheerful little guy at the bottom of the Japy, protecting the machines heart, the escapement:

On the Oliver / Sears Tower variant of this machine, the guy looks like this, more ironic, sort of:

Now, I wondered what that plate looks on the original Patria - oh, wow, maschinengeschrieben has an image, only that there it is mirrored (hmmm, the plate and mechanics, or the image - even the screws visible are on the opposite side?):
http://maschinengeschrieben.blogspot.de/2012/05/patria-face.html
If one of you does own a Patria, could you post an image?

However, the Jayy guy is my favorite, and I wonder wether its shape - as well as the Patria/Oliver shape - is purely functional or rather resembling a face deliberately ...

PS Have you spotted any other "faces" on typewriters?

29-4-2015 19:19:32  #2

Re: The funny little guy protecting the Japy's heart

That's cute.  It looks like it could be a character from an old Atari game or something.

29-4-2015 23:14:05  #3

kpropaganda wrote:

PS Have you spotted any other "faces" on typewriters? 

Just the obvious one that you find on most French typewriters, which Valiant of this forum describes as being "the original emoticon."

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-4-2015 00:18:51  #4

@ spazmelda Yes, exactly, that's it! We should build a legend

@ Uwe Yes, that's great, I noticed that vaguely for a moment when I first looked at the broken Japy ... but due to the follwing annoyance, never looked at the keyboard again.

I am thinking about creating a series of screen-printed postcards with these guys, adding a catchy punch line ...

Board footera