You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-5-2015 09:04:24  #1

Your collections

As someone who is new to typewriters, bought my first typewriter just last weekend (a lovely Remington No.1 portable)  and is now considering it as being the first of many in a collection of portable typewriters, I am interested in hearing about everyone else's collections before deciding which direction to take mine in.

Can you tell me how many are in your collection, what do you consider to be the criteria for a machine to join your collection (pre war, a certain brand, attractive, glass keys, metal body etc) and which is your favorite and why?

01-5-2015 10:28:23  #2

Re: Your collections

I have, I think 14, and I'm actually going to start downsizing, because I have more than I can use regularly. The ones I will keep:
1. My father's Corona Comet DeLuxe for sentimental reasons & also because it has the best action.
2. A Smith Corona Silent-Super that I WON in a speed typing contest, and plus which types in Elite.
3. Two Royal Model Ps, because they are so beautiful in color and one is the Vogue typeface & one is italic.
4. An Olympia SM3 because it was the first one I collected and is a beautiful tank of a machine.
5. An Olympia SM7 because it is cursive.
6. A Royal Quiet DeLuxe because of its "sophisticated" typeface, illustrated here.
7. Here I dither: I want to have one really light portable. It will either be an Olivetti Lettera 32 (keyboard designed for Afrikaans) where the keys are a little too close together or an elderly gray Hermes Baby from Macy's that doesn't type smoothly yet but is very attractively designed. May have to keep both.

All the rest I may or may not keep. As you can see from the list, I like various typefaces, I like good-looking machines, I like sentiment.

01-5-2015 10:49:16  #3

Hi jrcjon. Well the makes of typewriter that people collect vary, inevitably, according to what's available in their country. (If I were in Dorset - no idea if you are - there is an Underwood Champion right now on eBay for £25 on a collect-only. It says it's in London but I know for a fact that it isn't! You don't see those in the UK. Go for it, if you can.)

There was a similar thread recently, about what people find collectible, but I like that your question has a sort of 'building a library' feel about it.

My own criteria are that I have to love the way it looks and I have to be either totally in love with it or else getting it for an amazing bargain price. I write; I use them; so the ones I really love are the ones I can type happily on for hours. And I live in a flat in London so space is at a premium, so I mostly have portables. The small ones are only 3" or so deep, & can be practically stacked out of the way on a bookshelf.

I gravitate towards the 50s and 60s, for some reason mostly the 50s. I like workhorses and quite unshowy machines that remind me of my own childhood and the decades before it. 

I've always had a fascination for typewriters and bee jealous pf friends who acquired them, but then suddenly got into it in a big way last year. I now have an unconscionable number of the things now - I've followed my curiosity, read up on the ones I like, tried out different models in secondhand shops, and picked up badly listed machines for 99p etc, so I can get the feel and sort of train myself to see what's going on with them. As a result of this I have a few that don't work, because they really were a bit bashed up even after I did my little repairs. But I also got a pristine Olympia SM8 for a fiver. 

I try to buy local, so there is less risk of things getting damaged through poor packing or shipping tratment. And the result of that is that I've meet some lovely people and got to go on little trips to places I might not, otherwise - only in and around London but it's quite fun. And you often get collect-only machines cheaper, since fewer people are budding on them. 

My own collection contains mostly European typewriters, for obvious reasons.
A selection of much-loved Olympias
Hermes, 2 trashed and 2 wonderful. I love them but, as with Olivettis, they're really a matter of taste. 
One Olivetti: a 1958 Lettera 22. I like it. But I'm not in love with Olivetti the way I am with Olympia, & sold the others.
A few American ones incl a 1954 Smith-Corona Silent-Super that I recently brought back from the dead, a tiny black 1940 Remington Envoy, and a Remington Quiet Riter that my partner's kid has commandeered.
Three older, classic-looking black shiny typewriters, all portables. 
Only 2 desktop machines: an Adler special from 1962, and a late, huge, 1978 Olympia SG3 that I just love.

Most of my portables are towards the ultra-portable end. I have a couple of the so-called 'Euro' typewriters and a couple of older Baby-alikes. 

Out of all this, the best for actually typing on are, I'd say: 
Olympia SM3 or 8
Olympia SG3
Hermes 1961 3000
Smith-Corona Silent-Super, 1954
And I like my Lettera 22. Bit mushy but not unpleasant. 
The Adler Special is also nice, as is a 1972 Tippa. 

Right now I'm in love with the 3000 - I only got it yesterday! - and recently-fixed Silent-Super. And if asked to choose between the SM8 and the SG3 I just couldn't.

01-5-2015 10:53:45  #4

My advice, if you want advice, is to read the typewriter blogs, look at the pictures, and every time you like the looks of something on eBay, google it and read what someone says about it. Read the manuals. Somewhere there's a Which? report on the 1962 crop of portables, which is really informative and interesting. 

The main thing is that they're a tactile experience, so no one else can tell you what kind will work for you, you have to figure that out for yourself.

01-5-2015 18:08:19  #5

JanetLand, you listed some great typewriters!  I particularily like your Royals and Coronas. I think the Model P is quite high on my list right now having seen the amazing paintwork on some of those online. Were Royal the first brand to manufacture colourful Portables?
I have also read lots about how the later Olympia SM's are such good machines but think I would rather stick with the older machines....perhaps pre 1950's.

KatKondon, you have said a number of things that I had started to pick up on myself. Local pick-up only machines seem to offer the best value on EBay and I would definitely prefer to stick with local collections to reduce the risk of damage in transit and inaccurately described auction listings.  I live in Somerset but have seen many nice machines on EBay seem to be in Dorset and London, is that the norm or is that just the case over my short period of following recent auctions? 

Having looked at a few blogs, sites and views from this forum I think an early Corona or 2 including the standard folding are on my wish list and I really like the look of the Olivetti Studio 42 if I can find one here at a reasonable price in nice condition.  I will do as you say and read more but does anyone have any views on those machines?

Last edited by jrcjon (01-5-2015 18:09:48)

02-5-2015 03:10:52  #6

I suppose, like probably most of us did, you'd start by picking your first couple of machines by opportunity, looks, or something you have heard or read on the internet. Once you have a first selection, once you have typed on and maintained a couple of machines, your personal taste and interest will shop up more and more clearly. I think this rather grows than being a decision right from the very start. There are so many fields you could focus on: brand, size, looks and design, colour, mechanics, history, rarity, usability ... And then there's that "Actually this machine doesn't really fit in my collection and I never thought I'd get one, but it's in such good condition and such a good deal and I haven't touched that brand before"-thing, you'll see ;)

Olympias are always a good choice, I think, and I am very much into the pre-war models. Never deceived me, so far.

02-5-2015 15:44:50  #7

All great advice here, I'd add that  a machine you buy because it is on someone else's top three list, might be a crashing disappointment to you if it's had a rough past life. For instance, I have 3 Remington Portables, (nos 1 &2 ) and they all have a different typing feel, and different carriage return, simply because they are bashed up ancient creatures - they all work to a greater or lesser degree but none are perfect examples of their former selves.
And your own style of typing is definitely going to determine what kind of machine is 'best' for you. I spent 20 odd years using a crappy looking crappy sounding silver reed that went like the clappers and never let me down until its platen got too hard and it went for a swim in a flood. I have yet to find another typewriter that types as well as that silver reed did! It takes me a while to get into the groove of any of my 11 or so new older typewriters.
My method of accumulation is still a mystery to me. I have very little space, so go for portables. Shiny, curvy, colour, portability, era: I like older machines, 20s - 40s because I have a weakness for acquired nostalgia, I like 50s and 60s machines because they have a coolness about them that is hard to express in words. 70s machines I like because they fit in my own timeline - 'wow, I was nine when this rolled off the line' etc. Anything after that I tend to regard with a slight distaste simply because the 80s were a truly rubbish decade for me! And I don't like beige.
Have fun starting your collection. I don't think you can really go 'wrong' with typewriters!

02-5-2015 17:52:30  #8

I prefer to find my typewriters locally, rather than trust someone's online description or photos (and potentially disasterous packaging for shipping), and so that means I have to pick and choose from amongst a limited selection at thrift stores, meaning that I also have to periodically revisit these stores to ensure I haven't missed a new item in stock.

As such, I'm very picky when it comes to mechanical condition, since most of these machines are mid-20th century portables of the usual brands found in America, nothing rare or exotic, and they have to be of sound enough condition that I am confident, prior to purchase, that I can address all their issues.

Even so, over the years I've found three Olivettis, including two Lettera 22s and one Olivetti-Underwood 21.

I've broken this rule several times. First with my Royal Mercury, which I purchased about a decade ago from John Lewis, here in Albuquerque, it being already reconditioned and ready for sale; second with my 1936-era Underwood Universal, purchased reconditioned from Brown & Smith (who went out of business earlier this year), and a third was my 1930-era Corona 4, purchased in bad shape from an antique store in Santa Fe and reconditioned (including a new platten) by John Lewis.

I've recently looked at John Lewis's stock of typewriters reconditioned and ready for sale, and the prices have really shot up since I bought the Mercury a decade ago,  no doubt because of the typewriter revival; so that I can't say I wouldn't ever buy another reconditioned, unless it were some special model that really struck me as something I couldn't live without.

But for now, I continue to prowl the thrift stores in search of that yet elusive perfect find; I've come close this last year, with both the SCM Galaxy 12 and the Smith-Corona Silent, both in great shape and also great typers.

~Joe

02-5-2015 18:31:06  #9

Hi, I have no idea about what typewriters there are in dorset, I only noticed that Champion because I WANT it and it said London! Turns out the sellers have moved to dorset and not changed their eBay location. And seem very unrepentant, and that thing has been relisted three times so far. 

There's nothing very nice in London right now. But I did, last week, get an Olympia Progress made in 1935. It's in really  nice condition exceot that a: its beautiful 'Olympia' script written acrtoss the paper table has been worn off in 80 years; 2: it really needs new rubber on the platen and that is £110; and 3: a strange un-aligned 'o' key tuyrns out to be caused by the actual type slug coming LOOSE and has to be stuck onto the type bar again. I actually bought the thing to use in an installation for an art exhibition later this year... maybe I should try and get the cash together to get it fixed, I can't type on it till I do anyway. 

So there you go! Sounds like your collection will go in a slightly different direction from mine - I seem to be in love with the 50s... 

02-5-2015 18:34:23  #10

Malole, I read a comparative report on portables of 1962, from that year's XMas issue of Which? magazine, which said that even when new, three examples of one model of typewriter might feel more different than examples of three different models. It really is the luck of the draw. Though the hard lives of many of mine are showing a bit, I think! Funny about your silver Reed, that's sweet. There's nothing like the old faithful.

Board footera