You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-5-2015 21:16:58  #1

Draw Cord Anchoring Location on Corona 4

The draw cord on my 1930 Corona 4 had gotten loose from its anchor point.  I found the draw cord with hooked end wadded up but intact under the carriage.  I re-attached it to screw in what seemed like the most logical location. Is the correct spot to anchor the draw cord?  This picture show the far right end of the carriage, under side view:

04-5-2015 13:07:26  #2

Re: Draw Cord Anchoring Location on Corona 4

Looks like it to me. Does the carriage move properly to the end of its stroke?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-5-2015 13:17:01  #3

Great! It seemed like the right spot.

The carriage had been completely frozen/stuck in place. I guess it rusted in place after the draw cord went loose.  After some PB Blaster and judicious use of force, I was able to move the carriage with great difficulty a little at a time. I'm now able to move the carriage back and forth on the rails, but it's very very very sticky - still feels like there's a lot of rust/gunk I am working against.  Once the carriage is moving more freely, I'll be able to see if the draw cord pulls to the end.

04-5-2015 15:41:55  #4

Be sure to check the escapement then; the problem could be there, and not with the carriage rails and ball retainer, which in you photo look to be very clean.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-5-2015 15:55:31  #5

I believe that the escapement is functional but a bit gummy. The carriage successfully advances one space with each key strike/ space bar strike if I pull *hard* on the carriage to the left as I type.
Also of note, when I hit the shift key the carriage remains elevated (carriage shift machine) until I gently push down on the platen.
This machine is still very gummy and rusty.  Do you have a degreasing / cleaning product that you like to use when dealing with these kind of issues?

05-5-2015 10:43:08  #6

I use Varsol on all the moving metal parts and it works great. It's an Exxon product, but I believe that mineral spirits would be very similar. In the box stores in my area you can find it in the paint department (most people use is as a paint thinner), but it's also designed to clean and degrease mechanical parts and tools.

05-5-2015 11:17:47  #7

I found a can of mineral spirits paint thinner in the garage.  It cleans the type very nicely.  I have applied it to my escapement and other metals mechanics under the machine, moving things back and forth.  Will see if get if I can get things ungunked.

Board footera