You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-5-2015 13:26:29  #1

Product recommendations for rusty, frozen or sticky typewriters

I have a Corona Four that had a carriage frozen fast - would not budge an inch. The entire machine was dirty and rusty inside and out. I have used denatured alcohol and PB Blaster and now the carriage is moving with some reluctance. Still feels very rusty and sticky.  Does anyone have products / method recommendations for freeing up typewriter parts in this situation?  Are Teflon lubricants effective?

Last edited by Mech (04-5-2015 13:27:43)

04-5-2015 14:13:14  #2

Re: Product recommendations for rusty, frozen or sticky typewriters

I've had good luck with lighter fluid (i.e. Naphtha), it's an oil, so it lubricates, but it's so thin that it also serves as a penetrating oil.

~Joe

04-5-2015 14:31:30  #3

Thank you, Joe. I've read good things about naphtha - I may need to head over to the hardware store and pick some up.

04-5-2015 20:36:46  #4

There is a product called "Kroil" that is amazing for freeing up rusted parts. I had some magic-margin style margin stops on a Hermes Ambassador that were rusted solid. I tried PB Blaster and it didn't help at all. I put on a drop of Kroil and a few seconds later they honestly worked like they were new. They have a free trial offer on their website, and I ordered the can of Kroil and had them send me the aerosol for free.Their website is:

http://www.kanolabs.com

Dave

Los Angeles, CA

04-5-2015 21:33:15  #5

Wow - Kroil sounds like good stuff.  I have been pretty satisfied with PB Blaster in the past, but it's just not getting things moving freely in this case.  I will try to find some Kroil locally.

05-5-2015 11:27:10  #6

I see that you are in California like me. I looked around in Los Angeles and couldn't find any, which is why I just ordered some. It took a week to get it, but with the free trial deal it was worth the wait. You can find it on Amazon too, I think.

Los Angeles, CA

05-5-2015 11:40:06  #7

I may need to order it online - I just called the hardware store and the auto parts store and neither have heard of it.

05-5-2015 17:31:20  #8

Try (veru hard if you can* To take off the carriage, if not move it all the way to one side, and spry some degreaser onto the rails, and onto the wheels on the carriage. Then wipe it off, and put some gn oil on it. The same thing ahppened with my Oliver, it was frozen, and I cleaned the carriage rails.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

05-5-2015 18:46:00  #9

I may need to take off the carriage.  I have cleaned / lubricated with denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, PB Blaster and Goo Gone.  I'm able to move the carriage back and forth with some effort  -  it makes a rough whistling sound as it moves.

06-5-2015 05:17:26  #10

Yep, sounds like the rails, or the gear (Dont know what its called, or where it is on your typewriter) that is in th front of the carriage.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera