You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-5-2015 20:07:04  #1

My new Olympia

Picked this up from ebay and it just arrived today.  I don't know if it's an sm8 or an sm9.  Serial number (4164481) puts it in 1970. It needs a good cleaning, but otherwise seems to work well.

07-5-2015 20:17:05  #2

Re: My new Olympia

I'm pretty sure that is an SM-9. The later ones, as far as I know, didn't have the automatic tab sets onthe sides of the spacebar like my 1965 SM-9 does, but it does have a touch control. This one will soon become your favourite machine to use 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

07-5-2015 20:26:56  #3

I'm thinking it's an sm9 too, but it's hard to tell.  I'm actually not sure I like the typing action yet.  It's very different from any of the others I have. I haven't had much time to play around with it yet.

08-5-2015 09:31:40  #4

I spent some time cleaning the segment this morning and it now types much better. I guess it was gummier than I thought down in there.

Last edited by Spazmelda (08-5-2015 09:31:57)

08-5-2015 10:51:22  #5

Nice machine!

This thread reminds me to ask the Olympus experts, how does Olympus distinguish the various SM models? My machine, that's supposedly an SM9, doesn't indicate the model number anywhere, nor have I seen model number indications on any other machines whose images are posted online. Is it determined strictly by serial number and features alone?

~Joe

08-5-2015 11:42:50  #6

JoeV wrote:

how does Olympus distinguish the various SM models?

The SM models, numbered from 1 through to 9 (excluding 6 for some reason) were distinguished by their features. The machine in this thread is an SM9 because it had a keyboard tab set. The SM8 had manual tab sets that were adjusted on the back of the carriage.

I'm putting together a SM spotter's guide (among similar guides for other makes/models) to help others identify these machines. Hopefully I'll find some time to complete it soon and will post a link to it here when I do.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-5-2015 14:40:15  #7

Lovely typeface, and with green ribbon, it looks extra great.

08-5-2015 14:47:34  #8

Ah, I changed the green out with a black.  I wasn't digging it.  I have a purple, maybe I will put that in there.  Pink would work, but that's just too precious, lol.

Uwe- I saw that you were working on an Olympia sm identification guide.  A thread where it was discussed popped up when I was searching for how to tell sm8 from sm9. I didn't see that it was ever posted though so I'm glad you gave an update.

08-5-2015 15:45:27  #9

Spazmelda wrote:

I changed the green out with a black. I wasn't digging it. I have a purple, maybe I will put that in there. Pink would work, but that's just too precious,

Green is, in my opinion, über-cool.  I have one machine that came with a dual colour ribbon, black over green, and wish I had a stockpile of that combination. Purple is neat too. Pink? Well, let's just say that I'm not that in touch with my feminine side to use it for regular typing.

Spazmelda wrote:

I saw that you were working on an Olympia sm identification guide. A thread where it was discussed popped up when I was searching for how to tell sm8 from sm9. I didn't see that it was ever posted though so I'm glad you gave an update.

I've been trying for the better part of a year to put together a website for my typing obsession without much success. A lot of it is started, but for one reason or another I just can't find the time (or drive) to get it off the ground, which is a shame because I have so many raw files of research notes that I wanted to use for it. At the moment there's the SM guide, a SF guide, and a Super-5 guide, all started, but none finished. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-5-2015 15:52:52  #10

Even as a female, I'm not that in touch with my feminine side. I do have a pink ribbon because it came in a pack of colored ribbons. It had black, green, purple, red and pink.  I wish I'd just ordered some blue and purple instead. I have a bunch of black ribbons, or black and red, so the black and red aren't that useful.  Pink is... Just pink. The green is okay, but I didn't think it went with the cursive. Orange would be neat, but I don't think Ive seen an orange ribbon.

A blog from you would be a great resource, but I know what you mean. They take a lot of time and dedication.

Last edited by Spazmelda (08-5-2015 15:53:49)

Board footera