You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-5-2015 13:51:43  #21

Re: My new Olympia

I've been wanting to get into fountain pens for a while, but the potential to spend a lot lot LOT of money has scard me away. I have some calligraphy pens that I enjoy using, and a set of ko-I-noor technical pens that I adore.

Last edited by Spazmelda (10-5-2015 13:52:05)

11-5-2015 10:46:52  #22

I hate to sound smug, but a very kind fairy has given me a blue and red ribbon - going to figure out the perfect machine to put it on...  

They didn't know how lucky they were, back in the day! I didn't even know you could get these, but I su
ppose why not. 

Last edited by KatLondon (11-5-2015 10:47:41)

11-5-2015 11:36:21  #23

I don't think you could sound smug if you tried Kat, lol.

I saw a thing online where someone was making rainbow ribbon. I have to admit, I wanted to make one, like immediately. The logistics of it hung me up though. I'd have to find an appropriate unlinked ribbon, and appropriate ink. I think the person had used stamp pad ink, which some people say is bad for typewriters. Anyway, it was kewl.

11-5-2015 12:28:24  #24

Ha! thanks : 

13-5-2015 19:28:48  #25

Spazmelda wrote:

I've been wanting to get into fountain pens for a while, but the potential to spend a lot lot LOT of money has scard me away.................

There's no need to spend very much.  I use FPs all the time, and while I do have a couple of expensive ones, the trusty Lamy Safari will do the job just as well, and is a good introduction to the fountain pen.  Choosing the exact colour of your ink is one of the best things about FPs - there are hundreds of inks you can use!

Sincerely,
beak.

13-5-2015 20:17:58  #26

With the help of colrehogan, I actually ordered a fountain pen a few days ago, and an ink sampler.  I got a pilot metropolitan. It was either that or a lamy, because I'd read good things about those too.  I will probably get one of those next.

13-5-2015 21:19:07  #27

Fountain pens and typewriters go hand in hand. I only use fountain pens, always have since the seventh grade, and my choice for an inexpensive, highly versatile (it can be used as an eyedropper), and good quality pen is the Kaweco Sport. You can pick one up for around $20, which is a lot less than many inks that I've bought. I think this deserves a new thread in the Off-Topic sub-forum. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-5-2015 21:38:13  #28

I bought a blue ribbon and a purple ribbon.  Looking forward to trying ione of them out on a new 1947 Royal QDL as soon as it gets here.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

14-5-2015 04:59:47  #29

Oooh! Ours can be twins.  That's the same year mine is.

Oh, the large type smith corona arrived at my post office at 4:16 this morning.  It is possible that it will be out for delivery later today.  It only had to travel from Ballwin, MO, not not a long journey.

Last edited by Spazmelda (14-5-2015 05:18:31)

16-5-2015 11:46:53  #30

Board footera