You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-5-2015 14:07:51  #1

Underwood No. 26, 26" carriage -- shift not working

Greetings. I recently became the owner of a very nice Underwood No. 6 26-inch carriage typewriter dating from 1933. It appears that there is a problem with the shift mechanism, as neither of the shift keys can be depressed, nor the shift lock key engaged. I have not yet attempted to start any disassembly -- was hoping someone here might have some ideas or suggestions first. As best I've been able to determine, other keys and functions are working. I have electronic copies of various Underwood manuals and repair manuals (Ames, HNSA, etc.). I'd like to get this in working condition, as I have some projects in mind for this lovely, but massive, machine.

Thanks for any insights/help.

mlb

10-5-2015 00:02:50  #2

Re: Underwood No. 26, 26" carriage -- shift not working

I've had a number of big standards from that era with the same problem that, in my case, always turned out to be a case of badly rusted shift mechanism components. I also managed in every case through patience and perseverance (and a lot of Liquid Wrench) to free those mechanisms and restore them to proper functionality. 

Have you given the machine a good looking over yet? Are there obvious signs of rust anywhere?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-5-2015 06:56:57  #3

Can you move them manually? Or are they frozen in place? If thats the case, like Uwe said, theres rust. 

There could be a peice somewhere in the machine blocking the mechanisms, though I doubt it.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

17-5-2015 13:35:10  #4

Thanks for your helpful responses and ideas. Sometimes the best way to attack a problem is to set it aside for a while, and see what brainstorms might pop out of your subconscience.

That's what I did. Took a very close look at the shift-related diagrams in Ames & the HNSA version of TM37-305 (does anyone know where there is a downloadable pdf version of that document?), and examined the mechanism in another 1930s Underwood. It turns out that the problem was due to a slightly bent engagement flange underneath the left shift key mechanism that is mounted on the rotating rod connecting the shift keys. Because it was bent, it prevented rotation of that rod in response to downward pressure on the shift keys. After tracing the movement of the various parts that I could see (without disassembly) throughout the shift mechanism chain, it looked like that had to be at least part of the problem. A pair of broad nosed pliers, some gently-applied pressure, and voila! It now works like a charm!

Board footera