You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-5-2015 19:23:29  #11

Re: Interesting Corona

colrehogan wrote:

Sounds like it's in worse shape than I thought.

Uwe must know something I don't.

From what I saw the platen seemed more worn than I normally notice. But that's not a deal breaker on something that neat.

I'm notoriously cheap, so I'm just wishing you all the luck you can get in getting it as cheap as you can get. =-)

"[...] modern writing does not consist in picking out words for the sake of their meaning and inventing images to make the meaning clearer. It consists in gumming together long strips of words that have already been set in order by someone else, and making the results presentable by sheer humbug." - George Orwell

11-5-2015 19:26:52  #12

Could always ask the seller to please post some more pics from different angles, and a type sample if possible. Wait, how much time is left?  I didn't notice.

11-5-2015 19:53:22  #13

I did ask for a type sample and also if the paper advanced when they turned the knobs on the platen.  They said that the ribbon was shot and that the paper did advance.  It doesn't end until the 17th.  I will ask for additional pics of the machine rather than the case.

I have asked for additional pictures of the machine including some of the platen and keys.  I better get off of ebay.  I see some really cool looking folding typewriters.  I've never seen one like that.  Also some older Royal QDLs.

Last edited by colrehogan (11-5-2015 19:57:01)

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

11-5-2015 19:56:55  #14

Ah, there's five days left on it. I predict a skyrocket, but let's see. Fingers crossed. 

The platen will be worn on any machine of that age, that can't be a dealbreaker. And a for the pictures, as per Uwe, you know, I just think a lot of people have noooo idea about them! They have no idea what they should be showing, even. And then they put them in the wrong order. I saw one this week where the main picture in the listing was the user manual. This one doesn't look too bad. 

We're all interested now!

11-5-2015 20:10:57  #15

Hm, we should place bets on how high it goes.  I'm gong to predict $124.

11-5-2015 20:21:29  #16

I figured that this one might be keychopper fodder.  After reading the analogy with declawing cats, I didn't want to see that happen, but I do have my limits.

12-5-2015 05:26:48  #17

Never mind. Irrelevant now.

Fingers crossed this doesn't go up higher. With the vague descriptions of its working order it might not.

Last edited by Spazmelda (12-5-2015 05:49:54)

12-5-2015 08:14:14  #18

Well, it looks like the seller gave the Corona a cursory wipe down to make it look more pretty and then added some actual photos of the machine - the keyboard at least. Sometimes asking questions of such sellers results in the price being driven much higher, because I think he's now realized that he might have a money maker on his hands. Given what I've seen people pay on eBay for a typewriter, I'd be surprised if this auction didn't go over $200.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-5-2015 10:42:40  #19

Uwe's right. You have to weigh your desire to know more against your need not to alert anyone to anything that might make them bid. And you also don't want the sellers to start getting pleased with themselves. Cruel, but true! I hardly ever ask questions unless the thing really is in a state; or just to ask where they are. But even that I leave to the last day or so, because if I asked and they wrote it on the listing, someone else local to me might bid. 

(Part of me even feels I shouldn't be sharing all this. The first rule of eBay buying...)

Last edited by KatLondon (12-5-2015 10:49:49)

12-5-2015 10:54:55  #20

If it does, it does.  I'm not going to get ridiculous on it.  I missed out on another machine I was watching that was in prisine shape by the pictures and there are others there, but they are priced too high for the shape they are in.  Oh well.

Board footera