You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-5-2015 08:47:55  #11

Re: Large type smith-corona?

Aye, a pretty penny indeed. But these things are hen's teeth in the UK. And saying that, I'll hear about one for sale in the UK now! I broke my rules for this machine. That's typewriter addiction for you!

13-5-2015 14:17:18  #12

Wow, never seen something like that before....

Cool!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

13-5-2015 16:13:36  #13

Malole I know it only too well! I got my Silent-Super for an amazingly low prie considering it was the first one I'd ever seen for sale in the UK, and that was because it looked so utterly wrecked. But it types like a dream now. And I'm sure you've probably seen the little parade of mint-condition, sweetie-coloured Smith-Corona Clippers that have been up lately. Going for less than the price of shipping one from America, but I'm happy with mine now.

Show us pictures when you get yours...

13-5-2015 19:07:13  #14

Nice.  Looks like a good clean machine.  I have an S-C from the 1940s with a very similar typeface (see typeface database) which is 6CPI.  Will be interesting to see if they are identical, though decades apart in time.

Last edited by beak (15-5-2015 05:25:53)

Sincerely,
beak.

14-5-2015 10:57:42  #15

Here we go.  It came today.  I haven't done anything yet except put a new ribbon in. The platen has some crusty stuff on it. Other issues, but nothing too bad I think.  Here is a type sample. Also found a metal id tag stating "Property of St. Louis Board of Education". Serial number is 6LTV 387388, some sometime in the 70s, which is pretty obvious, I guess.

My fountain pen came today too.  What to do, what to do? I NEED to do laundry, but I don't see how that will be possible.

Last edited by Spazmelda (14-5-2015 11:16:26)

14-5-2015 12:51:03  #16

With that serial number I'd say '60s, and since it has the jeweled escapement, it had to be manufactured in 1967 or later. I don't think the database numbers for that model are correct - I assume that's where you got the '70s from - which is why I've been working on the chronology of the Classic 12 whenever I can.

It was a great catch, and a bonus that its original use was explained by the tag on it. And now that you've tried it out, can you see a practical use for that typeset? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-5-2015 13:02:27  #17

That's interesting about the serial number.  I have no idea. You are right, I was just going from the database.

I think it will be useful in writing emphatic chore lists for my daughter. Matter of fact.. I think I should do that right now.

Other than that, no not really. I can see where it would have been useful for a school or for writing speeches, or maybe a letter to grandma, assuming she couldn't find her glasses.

Last edited by Spazmelda (14-5-2015 13:15:22)

14-5-2015 14:02:56  #18

That's super huge! Is that 6cpi? It somehow looks bigger.
I'm still waiting for mine, every engine rumble outside makes me jump to look out of the window.

14-5-2015 14:10:50  #19

Malole, that chore list is on a half sheet of paper.  I should have mentioned that.  Makes it look even bigger.

15-5-2015 05:31:59  #20

I may be wrong here, but I'm wondering if these large-print machines are by nature very sensitive to platen wear / hardness.  Mine, and many others that I've seen, often fail to print the full character, and those little voids here and there seem to be charachteristic.  Mine (being very old, and somewhat neglected by previous owners) benefits from as many backing sheets as I can fit behind the top copy, which, I guess, is like renewing / enlarging the platen?  

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera