You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-5-2015 23:07:17  #1

Bloggers

For those of you who have a blog, what do you write about? How do you come up with it? I've never been able to figure out what to put in one.  Kind of the same thing about a website.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

13-5-2015 04:33:19  #2

Re: Bloggers

HUGE question! I think the short answer is that if you plan to go to the trouble of making a blog and keeping it up, you need to know inside yourself why you want to do that instead of just making facebook posts. If there's something driving you to share, make a project, if there are topics you want to explore or feel are under-represented on the web, and if you have the time and energy to keep it up - then you have the makings of a blog.

These days there are many different kinds of blogs, so you're not just saying 'what do you put in a blog'... you can sort of decide what kind of blog you make based on what yuo want to put in it and how you want to use it. For example, you might just want a tumblr that you can post pictures on, or share things you like. Or a 
Pinterest channel...

I do have a blog but I've had it for many years and don't update as often as I used to. There are two reasons for this: 1, I'm a bit tired, because it is a lot of work; and 2, Facebook! Facebook changed blogging totally. A lot of what I used to do on the blog is now on Facebook: the little posts, daily updates, comments on the news, etc. I save the blog now for longer more considered things, more like set pieces.

I don't blog about typewriters - though I have certainly mentioned them in passing - because - well, not sure really. Time, mainly. And my blog is a specific and established - more specific, since Facebook took the idle chatter - and it would be adding a new element. Another audience to try and reach. Etc.

Really interesting question. I ask myself these questions every day....

13-5-2015 11:59:05  #3

For ethical reasons I'm very anti-Facebook, but I do believe in the usefullness and just plain fun of having a blog. The great thing is that you can make a blog into whatever you want, you can be as specific or vague as you want, you can write about just one thing, or everything. And since there's nothing to loose, the best way to figure this out is to set one up and try it out for yourself. All you need to do is trust that whatever you want to share with a potential reader will come out on its own.

I currently have four blogs on the go. And I'm trying to put together a website. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with one of the blogs, have momentarily lost interest in another, and the other two are extremely specific, which makes them far easier to contribute to. For example, I have one blog that is only for the photos that I take of my typewriters. I'm not a good photographer and don't even own a decent camera, but it's something that I like to do and the blog gives me an outlet for that side-hobby.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-5-2015 09:09:51  #4

My blog is covers several topics, including typewriters and photography, but could be about almost anything, including my home town. I try to blog at least once per week, and almost always include a typecast as part of the format.

I don't know if it's kosher to include a link, but here it is:
http://joevancleave.blogspot.com/

~Joe

11-6-2015 12:53:42  #5

Joe, I read a couple of your blog posts and see you are into photography! I am too.  I shoot various sizes of LF and make pt/pd prints.  Although I haven't done much of either for a while.    I think the never-ending quest to declutter has removed these things from my life for a while, which I think is sad.  I need to commit to make some prints this summer.  It's not hard and doesn't require a darkroom.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

11-6-2015 14:03:52  #6

Alas, free time is like gold! One thing I haven't done is Pt/Pd printing. I do like to mix my typewriter blogging with photography, at the very minimum including a lead-in photo.

30-7-2015 13:45:23  #7

Blogs can be about anything that interests you! You can have one theme (cooking, sports, news, crafts) or it can be a bunch of random personal interests and thoughts. 

Board footera