You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-4-2013 09:17:36  #1

Typeface database

I've always been interested in the various typefaces produced by our machines.  Anyone who cares to may show us here.
The suggestion is to type along the banks of keys left to right, hitting the space bar between banks, first in lower case and then in Upper case directly beneath.  I have added a short paragraph of text so that the density and general form of the face may be seen easily.  My text is the beginning of Nineteen Eighty-four by George Orwell.  Feel free to use this if you choose, so the comparison will be exact between or various typewriters.  Don't worry if the typing has errors - the overall picture is the thing.

I can only supply this one at the moment; nothing out of the ordinary, but examples from all and any machines will be useful.
Remington Travel-riter Deluxe.
NB, this is a very small typeface - 12pt.

Last edited by beak (19-12-2013 07:58:35)

Sincerely,
beak.

08-4-2013 03:51:32  #2

Re: Typeface database

The poem isn't exact, but I picked it because of the line about the five-pound note. My typewriter has its own pound-key, so I couldn't resist  

The ribbon is one of my re-inked ones. It'd been through the machine four or five times before now, so the ink is beginning to run out a bit. Also, I cut my finger and it's done up in a band-aid. That's making the process of typing a little more fiddly. 

Last edited by Shangas (08-4-2013 03:56:53)

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

08-4-2013 04:48:16  #3

Thanks.  Interesting is (to this inexperienced eye) that the letters seem identical to the Remington, though the numerals are not.  Yours is an earlier machine, I guess, by the look of the numbers.
ETA
Yes it is - just looked it up!

Last edited by beak (08-4-2013 04:49:53)

Sincerely,
beak.

08-4-2013 06:15:21  #4

Yes. My typewriter's about 80 years old. 

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

11-4-2013 06:54:45  #5

This is the new machine I got for $5 the other day.  Not fully seviced yet, as you can see, but the typeface is clear enough for now.  ALL brand.  Type is 10 cpi.Still wondering about the 'H -L' button top left - I guess it may be some sort of touch control, but seems not to affect the typing, as far as I can feel.

Last edited by beak (19-12-2013 07:59:20)

Sincerely,
beak.

11-4-2013 12:59:07  #6

Forgive my ignorance, but what happens when you press the red 'Automatic' button?

11-4-2013 20:06:11  #7

That's a multi-space button - it's like pressing the space bar many times, rapidly.

Sincerely,
beak.

11-4-2013 22:37:28  #8

I believe that's for stuff like indentations and tabulations and so-forth.

13-4-2013 12:46:08  #9

Here's some sample type from my Royal portable (see the 'Portables' thread).

Any errors are, of course, the fault of the typewriter (ahem)...

22-4-2013 04:27:24  #10

Remington Junior / 1930s.  This was a good lesson for this newcomer; don't stuggle on with an original ribbon that is so thin you can see through it, and often looks like an inked piece of hairy old rope - fit a new one!   Typeface is 10 cpi.

Last edited by beak (18-5-2013 08:43:51)

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera