You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-5-2015 21:32:03  #1

Burroughs typewriters....

I should soon have one of these beauties in my possession. I've been searching but not finding a lot of info on Burroughs typewriters. Anyone here know much about them??? The typewriter more than the company...

15-5-2015 07:24:06  #2

Re: Burroughs typewriters....

Which model are you getting? The one with the electric carriage return? I don't own a Burroughs, but the general opinion seems to be that they're built like a tank, and sort of type like one too. I'm looking forward to your photos and typing impression of the machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-5-2015 08:30:36  #3

Oh God, I thought that meant WILLIAM Burroughs... 

15-5-2015 10:30:27  #4

KatLondon wrote:

Oh God, I thought that meant WILLIAM Burroughs... 

He would (should) have written Burroughs' if that was the case... 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-5-2015 10:42:56  #5

I know that, Uwe! but I have learned over bitter years - many of them spent teaching poetry - never to expect punctuation...

Last edited by KatLondon (15-5-2015 10:43:18)

15-5-2015 11:14:09  #6

KatLondon wrote:

I have learned over bitter years - many of them spent teaching poetry - never to expect punctuation...

Or even a basic understanding of (and respect for) grammar. There are days when I'm convinced that most of today's youth are functionally illiterate. 

And now back to the Burroughs typewriter...

15-5-2015 18:05:02  #7

I'm not sure of the model as it won't be here until tomorrow. I'm far too old to qualify as a member of todays youth but that doesn't rule out my being functionally illiterate. And it is William S. Burroughs' typewriter, just not THAT William S. Burroughs. It was his granddads'...kinda sorta.....

20-5-2015 20:36:53  #8

Typewriter is here and will need some cleaning but all in all it looks good. Black paint is nice and the emblems are there and in good shape but as is expected the ribbon is dead. It is the straight manual typewriter without the electric carriage return. But the keytops are unlike any I've ever seen, I'll try for pictures soon,

26-5-2015 21:33:10  #9

Looks nice.  Very distinctive.

26-5-2015 22:25:54  #10

Those keytops look like snap-on covers for the original glass keys to make them more comfortable for typists. Try gently pulling them and see if they come off.

Board footera