You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-5-2015 08:18:09  #1

Olympia SG3 Bell Repair And Advice On Rust Removal.

I am a new into typewriters so I am not experienced.I fixed a few problems on this Olympia SG3 working and the only few problem I have is the bell and the rust that has cover the whole thing(i am not posting any pics but i will at some point).Just imagine a machine left in a bucket outside for 10 years.Yes, I am suprised too.German Engineering maybe? 

15-5-2015 08:34:04  #2

Re: Olympia SG3 Bell Repair And Advice On Rust Removal.

Do post the pictures RockyRoad! I have an SG3 that was MADE of rust when i got it - the whole inside was bright orange. There's damage outside but I cleaened it all up and it looks much nicer now. 

I'm no expert on rust removal. But suffice to say that , even with a split paper feed roller, this is one of my favourite typewriters. It's a dream. 

I've had mixed luck getting bells to work again. I can't even remmber if this one works or not - right now it's under a table in the lodger's room but I've been meaning to retrieve it... you will never regret any work you do to get this machine working well!

15-5-2015 09:00:23  #3

I will take some photos when the weather is nice.I really wanna bring it in my house and use it a bit.I leave it outside because it smell odd.Maybe my lubrication oil.Is dipping the whole thing in vinegar safe. I have tested this method on nuts and bolts and it worked.By the way how did you remove the rust.

Last edited by RockyRoad (15-5-2015 09:08:49)

15-5-2015 11:05:40  #4

RockyRoad wrote:

I really wanna bring it in my house and use it a bit.I leave it outside because it smell odd. 

The smell is very common with old typewriters. A good cleaning will help, a little, but I'd recommend starting with throwing out the ribbon (not the spools!) and really targeting the felt inside of the machine with a germ-killing cleaner; both harbour mold and account for most of the machine's stench.

RockyRoad wrote:

Is dipping the whole thing in vinegar safe. I have tested this method on nuts and bolts and it worked.By the way how did you remove the rust.

I wouldn't recommend immersing the entire machine in vinegar. It might be safe on the metal parts, but could cause damage to others. I tackle rust one area at a time. Some parts might require a light sanding, others might need penetrating oil. There is a lot of information here and in other websites that detail how to properly clean a typewriter, and very importantly, which parts of the machine you should and shouldn't oil. I'd suggest reading as much as possible on the subject before doing anything to your machine. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-5-2015 22:26:17  #6

I really just want to fix the bell first but i have these rust screws that has seized.Is there a way to fix that?

16-5-2015 10:11:08  #7

RockyRoad wrote:

I really just want to fix the bell first but i have these rust screws that has seized.Is there a way to fix that? 

The bell would be the last thing that I'd be worrying about; however, there are several techniques to free rusted screws. The easiest for someone without experience is to use penetrating oil (its designed to free rusted parts) with a little vibration, and a lot of patience. Spray the screw, then try to loosen it (without damaging the screw head), and when that doesn't work, wait for a few hours and then repeat the process. Some rusted parts can take a long time to free up. Those that don't need other methods, but in your case I'd start with penetrating oil. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera