You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-5-2015 20:49:52  #1

An interesting Zephyr

So in my quest for more machines to fill the gap of my soon-to-be-sold Royal 440, I had found a 1940 Smith-Corona Zephyr DeLuxe and a 1928 Royal 10 (I'll get to the 10 later). For $13, I couldn't go wrong, all it needed was a really deep cleaning. However I don't know much about these things. It's a 'DeLuxe', but what makes it different than a regular Zephry? And what is current opinion of the Zephyr?

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

29-5-2015 12:56:35  #2

Re: An interesting Zephyr

Hi Z

Yes, it's been a few days since I've been on the forum, just getting over a case of the shingles. Here's how I understand the history behind these little gems. The Zephyr was designed as an ultra-portable or travel typewriter, light enough to be carried by GI's and officers during World War two for writing letters back home. The Zephyr became the genisis for the Skyriter series of travel typewriters.

What the differences between the Zephyr and the zephyr Deluxe are, I'm not exactly sure. The deluxe is denoted by the 1Y- prefix for the serial number whereas the basic is has the 1X- prefix. The Deluxe model has both left and right margin, auto reverse on the ribon and the ribbon covers (I still need to give my Zephyre 1Y-4900 a full cleaning and serviceing). I'll see if I can do a little more research as and when my energy level gets back closer to normal. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

29-5-2015 15:54:07  #3

Ok, thank you. I haven't really paid it much attention lately because I've been busy with my Royal 10. But I'll tend to it this weekend. Maybe I'll find out something else that's different with it.

01-6-2015 09:53:21  #4

The De Luxe version has a few extra features over the standard Zephyr such as a paper rest, keyboard margin release, and a 'fancier' paint job. Compare yours to my standard Zephyr and you should be able to spot the differences:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-6-2015 20:49:19  #5

Who decided backspace was more importan than margin release? That just ain't right...

01-6-2015 21:45:37  #6

ztyper wrote:

Who decided backspace was more importan than margin release? That just ain't right...

Ideally, margin release should be used as little as possible. However, backspace is used whenever you want to type over or x out a mistake, among other things.

02-6-2015 16:21:12  #7

Backspace, too, should also be used as little as possible. If a single letter needs to be typed at the end of the margin, it would be an extreme pain to move the margin manually, type the letter, then mave it back.

03-6-2015 11:24:52  #8

True, true...

03-6-2015 15:45:40  #9

I'm just glad I got the DeLuxe model, so I don't have to complain about not having one or the other!

06-6-2015 12:56:50  #10

Alright, I've run ino a problem.

I tried to get the case off of the main body so I could clean it since the whole darn thing is extremely dirty but it was trouble coming off. There is a back plate (it has the company name and where it was made) that screws off, but then the rest of the case is just one big piece. I tried sliding it out, but it refuses to. It is getting caught on something that I can't see or don't know about. Can anyone help me on a good way to get the body out of the case?

Board footera