You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-5-2015 23:47:40  #1

Magic Eraser

Has anyone used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean the outside of their typewriter?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

19-5-2015 04:59:51  #2

Re: Magic Eraser

I have not tried a magic eraser.  I bet it would work okay thought.  I've used them on painted walls and they don't do any damage.  Maybe test it on a small out of sight area first.

I've had good luck with Soft Scrub, which I do also test in a small area.

03-4-2016 22:35:24  #3

Resurrecting this old thread to contribute! I tried out a Magic Eraser Sponge on my 70s Adler Tippa yesterday and my advice is to be careful because its 'magic' is actually that it is minutely abrasive.

It worked a treat to remove ink stains from the plastic body of my Tippa, but unfortunately I wasn't being careful enough and I ran the sponge over the painted ribbon indicator squares. It half erased them too! It's not a huge deal because the machine was dirt cheap and is far from cosmetically perfect, but I felt a bit dumb anyway. 

I also tried it on a non-visible patch of glossy enamel on a machine with a metal body and saw that it reduces gloss and leaves tiny scratch marks.

So they are basically like really really fine sandpaper. Only use them where that would be okay for you.

03-4-2016 23:54:33  #4

Along with Nicole's resurrection, let me offer up this warning:  NEVER clean your typewriter's exterior with ammonia.  It will seem to really get all the dirt out at first, but what it;s really doing is getting the paint right off.  Also, you don't want to get close to the stuff.  And that's only a five percent ammonia solution.  I remember working with anhydrous (no dilution) ammonia in a refrigeration setting.  now THAT stuff will kill you dead as a coffin nail.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera