You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-5-2015 17:20:16  #1

Value of a 196X Singer Electric Typewriter? *Need to know quick*

What I beleive a Singer 196X. Sorry I dnt have pictures. Anyone have an idea on value? I saw one in a shop today. Its either a 196x or something similar. How much should I offer on something like this?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

21-5-2015 18:59:30  #2

Re: Value of a 196X Singer Electric Typewriter? *Need to know quick*

Does it work? I wouldn't consider offering anything until I'd thoroughly tested it. And what's the rush? I have a hard time imagining such a machine would draw a lot of interest.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-5-2015 23:15:11  #3

A picture would be helpful. I know that Singer rebranded a variety of different machines from different manufacturers, so with a picture we may be able to identify the machine in question.

And also, I've never seen a Singer in person but judging by how often they show up on eBay they aren't terribly uncommon. I wouldn't pay too much.

Last edited by JustAnotherGuy (21-5-2015 23:17:00)

22-5-2015 04:49:49  #4

It was sitting on a bottom shelf, had mold or something all over it. It came off though. I dont know if it works, but if it doesnt, what should I pay, and if it does, what should I? The only reason Im asking is because on ebay some people said its rare and were asking 80. But Im just not an electric typewriter kind of guy. So if you guys consider it just another typewriter, Im not going to get it.

Oh, heres a picture I found online of it, at least I THINk its this.

Last edited by TypewriterGuy (22-5-2015 04:51:08)

Back from a long break.

22-5-2015 07:26:39  #5

TypewriterGuy wrote:

It was sitting on a bottom shelf, had mold or something all over it. It came off though. I dont know if it works, but if it doesnt, what should I pay, and if it does, what should I? The only reason Im asking is because on ebay some people said its rare and were asking 80. But Im just not an electric typewriter kind of guy. So if you guys consider it just another typewriter, Im not going to get it.

Oh, heres a picture I found online of it, at least I THINk its this.

Well, this is a picture of a standard Smith-Corona with a Singer nameplate on it. Maybe Singer chose the colors, too. The same machine with a S-C label is worth anywhere from $2 to---oh, I don't know---maybe $25 if you're patient. They are very good typewriters and not at all uncommon. Ther serial number is probably in the regular S-C sequence and so it can be dated at <http://typewriterdatabase.com/smithcorona.86.typewriter-serial-number-database>

This Singer's main value is to a "completist", one who collects every variant of his subject (e.g., rebranded Smith-Coronas) or to a Singer sewing machine enthusiast who wants a conversation piece. In those cases, the buyer absolutely sets the value.

22-5-2015 10:17:25  #6

This looks very similar to a Smith-Corona Electra 120 I saw recently at a junk shop.   They were asking $45 for it, but I got the feeling that I could have it for $10 - $20. It was an awful lot of fun to play with but a bit too noisy.

22-5-2015 11:00:52  #7

TypewriterGuy wrote:

The only reason Im asking is because on ebay some people said its rare and were asking 80. 

The first lesson when it comes to eBay sellers is that the vast majority of them don't know a thing about typewriters, and the them they're all very "rare". It's a pet peeve of mine that the word is used so often to describle machines that were produced by the hundreds of thousands, many of which are still stuffed into the back corners of many a closet.

Providing the machine is fully functional, I'd pay maybe $25-$35 for it. And only because I find Singer rebrands to be a fun segue. If the machine needed work I would probably pass on it altogether.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-5-2015 14:43:10  #8

I think Im just going to frget about it. A machine thats been sitting on thefloor of a shop every day must need some good care. Ill let you guys know when I go back (If I even do) if it works, or I get it.

Back from a long break.

Board footera