You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-5-2015 11:07:46  #1

Need help classifying this Remington

Ok, so I bought this new (Not really) Remington Standard 10 from 1910. Its the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Why? Crinkle finish! I dont think this was factory. Was it custom order or something? It has the Remington name on the paper plate.

Any help would be great!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

23-5-2015 12:13:49  #2

Re: Need help classifying this Remington

Have you checked the serial number in the typewriter database? That is a start.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

23-5-2015 12:31:09  #3

Yes. Even weirder: There is no period! Just a comma! 

The serial number doesnt bring up really anything, other than its 1910. I have never, EVER seen something like this before.

Back from a long break.

23-5-2015 12:53:52  #4

Photos? Hard to "classify" a typewriter from such a brief description.  Also, what is the serial number?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-5-2015 13:10:20  #5

Heres some pictures. So (As I said in the thread in repaires) The bell does not work, and the V key linkage is bent. Heres whats strange about this one. Its like a normal remington in every way, except, it has a crinkle finish! It also has a period key, but it only types commas! Did remington make special order crinkle finish? It even has Remingtons name on the paper plate. Sorry the pics are blurry. The serial number is on one of them. Oh, and its missing its feet.

Last edited by TypewriterGuy (23-5-2015 13:11:02)

Back from a long break.

23-5-2015 13:40:43  #6

All of my standards from the '20s and '30s have smooth paint with crinkle paint being very common after that. Given the value of these machines in their day, it wouldn't surprise me if the typewriter is a factory refurbished machine that received a repaint. I know that I have seen other examples of this on standards. I have a factory refurbished Woodstock, but it still has the original paint. What does the inside of the machine's case look like? What about the screw heads on the outside of the case? Quick and dirty paint jobs usually cover the screw heads with the same paint as the rest of the case.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-5-2015 16:56:32  #7

TypewriterGuy wrote:

The serial number doesnt bring up really anything, other than its 1910. I have never, EVER seen something like this before.

Relax! You're 13 years old---there are a lot of things that you have never, EVER, seen. It's normal and it's going to happen a lot in the future. Doesn't mean it's a big deal just because it hasn't happened to you yet.

And this typewriter is not a big deal. It was common for typewriters to be sent back to the factory for reconditioning and even rebuilding, especially during the war (World War II, 1939-1945) when there were almost no new typewriters being built because their factories had been converted to making armament and munitions. During the rebuilding process the factories would commonly update appearance items like paint and keytops in addition to making the mechanical parts work properly. After repainting in the modern style they would apply their decals (which they had access to, of course) and sometimes they would they would also apply a decal that said something like "Factory Rebuilt by [whatever company]".

So, you have a bit of history. Neat.

23-5-2015 17:07:19  #8

Here in England a lot of 20 + year old typewriters were refurbished in the late 1940's.  Because most typewriter factories went over to making other things for the war effort, and a lot of typewriters were destroyed during the bombings, there was a real shortage of machines.  Any old nail that could be sold as reconditioned was.  It was usual to respray these machines in black crackle-finish because it hid a multitude of scratches and chips.  Third-party firms like the Typewriter Sundries Co. would provide new key-cards and waterslide transfers with the manufacturer's name etc.  Such was the desperation for any sort of typewriter, I have even seen a pre-war French-market Small Remington portable treated this way, and converted from AZERTY to QWERTY.  Not to mention German portables 'liberated' by troops and brought back to Blighty !

23-5-2015 17:07:45  #9

TypewriterGuy wrote:

.... snip ....

Why do you say there's no period? Can we see a clear pic of both the keyboard and the typeslugs in the area where the comma is?

23-5-2015 17:15:39  #10

@M. H Yes, just give me a minute and Ill get one of the slugs and type sample, but its clearly a comma.

Uwe and everyone else, the refurbish makes sense now, because the Remington name looks just like the later style. @Uwe I think this is what you meant, the screws are flatheads, and are covered with the crinkle finish. They are all the same. The inside is a more flattened version of the crinkle too. 

Does the factory refurbished bring any more value wise? Or are they all the same. Also, where can I get some feet for it. Its missing its feet.

Back from a long break.

Board footera