You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-5-2015 17:23:19  #11

Re: Need help classifying this Remington

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

23-5-2015 19:29:49  #12

TypewriterGuy wrote:

.... snip ....
Uwe and everyone else, the refurbish makes sense now, because the Remington name looks just like the later style. @Uwe I think this is what you meant, the screws are flatheads, and are covered with the crinkle finish. They are all the same. The inside is a more flattened version of the crinkle too. 

Does the factory refurbished bring any more value wise? Or are they all the same. Also, where can I get some feet for it. Its missing its feet.

Boy, it sure does look odd with crinkle paint on that body style (frame, really)! It's not really worth more except maybe to a "completist", one who collects every variant of his subject (e.g., rebranded Smith-Coronas) or to someone who wants every color variation for a conversation piece. In those cases, the buyer absolutely sets the value.

23-5-2015 19:37:48  #13

Well, the extra commas are odd. My first thought was that the periods were there but just dirty with hardened ink. Now after your illustrations it seems more likely to be a mistake by some repairer. Unlikely to have been the factory guys. Does the soldering job look any different on the two slugs? Can't think of a reason why someoen would do that deliberately. Are the commas when printed on paper absolutely identical, including their shapes and position on the line?

23-5-2015 19:46:58  #14

The commas are exact. I checked the numbers on the slugs too. The period commas have a 3, the real ones have a 6. I dont think a epair man would make such a big mistake as this. The soldering is different. The factory has no evidence of anything, the weird period comma has a streak of metal from the slug. The color is more yellowd vs the silver/chrome factory slug. Looks like someone was playing apractical joke on someone with that machine 

Anyways, anyone have ideas why someone might have done this? Should I find a parts remington and replace the entire slug/keybar?

Back from a long break.

23-5-2015 20:45:54  #15

You think it would be alright to grind off the little tail of the weird comma keys? Then it would be a period.

Back from a long break.

24-5-2015 05:40:10  #16

The colour is more yellowed on the 'extra' comma because whoever soldered in place used a bit too much heat and 'burned' the plating.  I think it might be rather difficult to grind the commas into full stops.  If you could get hold of a replacement typebar and typeface it would be much easier.  As in other trades, there were 'cowboy' typewriter mechanics around just as well as skilled men.  As for feet, if they are circular, maybe you could make some from solid rubber door stops if you can get them in your area.

24-5-2015 06:53:47  #17

Actually, Im going to home depot later today, and Ill look around for rubber things, and get the same size feet. Well, im going to try grinding. If I damage the typebar, oh well! Then Ill try getting a replacment. If anyone can help on my repair thread for this, help would be great.

Back from a long break.

24-5-2015 10:03:01  #18

TypewriterGuy wrote:

.... snip .... Well, im going to try grinding. If I damage the typebar, oh well! Then Ill try getting a replacment. If anyone can help on my repair thread for this, help would be great.

Just a suggestion: when you say "grinding" I infer use of a power wheel like a Dremel. Instead, you'll get much more control and less risk of damage if you use a hand file. There is so little material to remove that I won't take much, if any, longer. Good Luck!

24-5-2015 10:47:02  #19

Great idea! I actually just baught a hand file a month ago. Now lets see if I can find it...

Back from a long break.

24-5-2015 12:17:07  #20

MISSION SUCCESS!

Successfuly grinded off the lower case tail of the comma. Could not grind off the uppercase part.

YAY! Now I can type periods! 

Back from a long break.

Board footera