You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-5-2015 14:57:13  #1

Typewriter database question

I have seen the notation of X in a year, e.g. 197X, in typewriter samples on the Typewriter database and wondered if this was just because they didn't know the information or the serial numbers weren't available? In this particular case, I was looking for the year my Smith Corona Coronet Super 12 was made.  It's serial number is 6LEA 963173G.

Also, when you prepare typing samples, do you do it on notecards or just normal paper?

Last edited by colrehogan (23-5-2015 14:58:30)

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

23-5-2015 14:59:43  #2

Re: Typewriter database question

I did mine on lined paper. It uploaded just fine.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

23-5-2015 15:47:47  #3

colrehogan wrote:

I have seen the notation of X in a year, e.g. 197X, in typewriter samples on the Typewriter database and wondered if this was just because they didn't know the information or the serial numbers weren't available? In this particular case, I was looking for the year my Smith Corona Coronet Super 12 was made. It's serial number is 6LEA 963173G.

Also, when you prepare typing samples, do you do it on notecards or just normal paper?

I don't think the Database has much info on SCM in the 70's, so yes, you should put the year for your Coronet as 197X.

It doesn't matter what paper you use for your samples, I use note cards sometimes but mostly I use printer paper.

24-5-2015 13:38:56  #4

The 'X' denotes an unknown production year, and two 'XX' an unknown decade. The database numbers are a work in progress and it's not uncommon for the information to be updated or changed. I've lost track of how many times I've had to change manufacture dates for the machines in my own collection because they were no longer correct because of an update. It's important to note that some of the presented data is more accurate (or absolute) than other data. For example, as I've already commented, based on my own research I don't believe the dates given for the Classic 12 to be correct, and to be fair, they are listed in the database as an approximation. Likewise, I've recently been finding out a few things about the Yugoslavian-made Olympia Traveller models that doesn't jive with the database's records. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera