You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-5-2015 14:42:53  #1

Another trip to the antique mall

My daughter and I were bored today. It was rainy and we were tired from yard work yesterday. So we decided to head out to the antique mall.

Hopefully this link to an album of the typewriters we saw will work: http://m.imgur.com/a/reWgt

Last edited by Uwe (25-5-2015 14:59:31)

25-5-2015 15:06:07  #2

Re: Another trip to the antique mall

Had I been with you, I would have grabbed that Remington Portable in a hearbeat, and done my best to talk myself out of buying the R.C. Allen, which is a simply stunning machine. I would have also picked up the Woodstock, and because it's my favorite typewriter, I would have been obliged to rescue that SG1.

That's quite the collection of machines for rather decent prices; it's a good thing that antique malls like that don't exist in my area. How good is that selection? Well, I just checked to see how far the mall is from my place. It would be a 7.5 hour drive (not even I'm that crazy). However, it's dangerously close to Indianapolis, and I do drive there every August...  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-5-2015 15:16:14  #3

I would have bought them all :D

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

25-5-2015 15:16:23  #4

I was so close to getting the Remington portable.  The carriage wouldn't move though.  I tried and tried to find a carriage lock and couldn't find anything.  I wasn't sure I'd be able to fix it if it was broken.  It was an exceptionally good selection today.  The R.C. Allen was so cool looking.  My daughter laughed at me because it was way down on a bottom shelf, practically on the floor.  When I spotted it I said, "oooooooooh!! What's that???"

Btw, what did you do to get my link to post the images in the thread?

Last edited by Spazmelda (25-5-2015 15:17:31)

25-5-2015 15:18:06  #5

TypewriterGuy wrote:

I would have bought them all :D

Nah, you don't have the space for them all, lol!

25-5-2015 15:21:55  #6

I think the Remington Portable does have a carriage lock... I could be wrong - I';ve never seen one in person - but I have a 1940 Remington Envoy which at any rate looks like the Portable, and that has a carriage lock on it. If I were you I'd try to go back there on Saturday... ;)

25-5-2015 15:33:02  #7

I'm sure it probably does, but I stood there for at least 15 minutes trying to find it . One of the ribbon spoolers had a bit of a problem as well.  One side moved properly, and the other seemed to only catch sometimes.  Shoot,  they are open 7 days a week.  I could go back tomorrow, lol.

I bought one of the Underwoods.

25-5-2015 16:01:07  #8

Spazmelda wrote:

Btw, what did you do to get my link to post the images in the thread?

Detailed instructions are in the FAQ page, but in brief, open the photo in imgur, right click on it, click on Copy Image URL, then past that link in the dialogue box that opens when you click on the Image button at the top of the post you're creating.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-5-2015 16:10:24  #9

Oh, so you did that for each picture, I see.  I know how to do that.  I thought there was a way to post the entire album. I always feel bad about loading a post up with lots of images, so that's the Reason I just did a link.  Thanks for taking the time to do that!

Last edited by Spazmelda (25-5-2015 16:12:02)

25-5-2015 16:13:34  #10

Spazmelda wrote:

I always feel bad about loading a post up with lots of images.

I'd feel glad if you did! One of the benefits of this typewriter forum is that we can include images in our posts, and to my mind images are an essential tool when discussing typewriters. Besides that, they are great reference material for anyone who is looking to compare one machine to another.

I didn't include your text from the imgur album, so feel free to add it here if you want. Personally, I love these types of posts that show what's available at local antique malls and flea markets.

Board footera