You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-5-2015 16:16:56  #11

Re: Another trip to the antique mall

@Spaz Your sadly right D:

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

25-5-2015 17:56:04  #12

Wow! That RC Allen is quite something. I have a soft spot for office electrics, I would have taken it home in an instant...

25-5-2015 17:58:04  #13

Oh wait, just looked at the album. It's a bit expensive...

25-5-2015 20:45:30  #14

The RC Allen was the most expensive one there, except for an LC Smith Corona that was in a glass case and I didn't include a picture.  I think I posted a picture last time I went to this antique mall. I believe it was listed at $169, but it had a broken space bar . I mean, the space bar worked, but only half of it was there.

Now that I think of it, I didn't even look at most of the glass cases this time.  There might have been more in there.  I really should go back tomorrow...

Last edited by Spazmelda (25-5-2015 20:49:05)

25-5-2015 23:33:48  #15

I call dibs on the adding machine! :D

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

26-5-2015 02:39:30  #16

That Remington #2 Portable is a sweet little machine. You don't see too many with that paint, and are the keys green? Looks like it may have some damage on the paper supports (they look bent out of position?). These Remington portables DO have a carriage lock. I believe all you would have to do to unlock the carriage is pull out on the platen knob on the right. I'd include a link to a page with a lot of information on Remington portables, including instructions on locking/unlocking the carriage, but the forum won't let me do that yet ;-)

Seems like you had a decent selection at that particular store. I went out to an antique store yesterday, and when I was done looking around, I realized I had more typewriters than the entire store! LOL. And I only have a few!

Last edited by Retro-Z (26-5-2015 02:45:56)

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

26-5-2015 09:12:40  #17

Okay, so I ran out there this morning.  The carriage was locked (retro-z's instructions were spot on) and I managed to get it unlocked.  It was very stiff.  Now I can't get it locked back.  Put some sewing machine oil in there to see if that helps.  At least if it's going to be stuck, it will be stuck unlocked.  Ended up paying $42 with tax.  Also, in the pic is the underwood I picked up yesterday.  I'm NOT going back to get the RC Allen!

I'm having trouble locating the year for the Remington.  The serial number is NK89490.  I can't find NK in the database.  ETA: oh, I think that makes it 1928?  The Underwood is '44ish. The underwood has a front cover, I just forgot to put it back on for the pic.

Last edited by Spazmelda (26-5-2015 11:43:42)

26-5-2015 16:16:13  #18

Something neat about the Allen that I didn't notice earlier is that it has a MANUAL carriage return, even though it's a massive office electric! Many portable electrics had electric carriage returns at the time. I doubt it sold well because of that..

26-5-2015 17:16:41  #19

The Remington needs to have the carriage in the exact center in order for it to lock again. I believe there is a lever on the left side of the carriage that allows it to move freely, and once the carriage is centered centered, it'll click into place. Then just push the right platen knob back in, which should lock it. Not the most obvious way to lock it up, but it works well once you know the procedure.

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

26-5-2015 17:57:07  #20

I did consider that it might need to be in the middle.  I tried that, but maybe I didn't have it exactly in the middle.  I'll give it another try using the lever you mentioned. Thanks!

Ah... Found it.  It's clever.  The lever on the left side doesn't actually get the carriage in the center, and it doesn't have to be centered to slide the knob in.  The lever moves a metal switch that blocks the platen axel (?) from coming through the hole on the left side.  If you move the lever, it unblocks the hole and you can slide the knob back to the left.  Then, when you move the carriage it locks into place in the center.

Last edited by Spazmelda (26-5-2015 18:45:24)

Board footera