You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-5-2015 10:00:59  #21

Re: Another trip to the antique mall

Spezmelda, those are wonderful!  The Remington Portable really gets to me, I love those. Well, at least I love my envoy and would love to have an older portable model to go with it. i love that unusual grey, with the shiny keys, too - well done! So glad you went back and rescued it.

27-5-2015 10:02:02  #22

Also, I'm VERY VERY jealous of your cube storage for the typewriter display. I have abot four machines dotted around the house and the rest have to stay in their boxes, some of which are hard to get down.

27-5-2015 10:14:01  #23

Thanks Kat.  I'm pleased that I went back for it. I should have just gotten it the first time and trusted that TT would help me figure out the carriage, lol. That cube storage is just a Kallax from ikea.  The big typewriters won't fit in the cubes. I think I'm going to get a shelf to go on the wall for larger ones.

27-5-2015 13:27:52  #24

Yeah... we used to have the big one of those back when it was called Expedit - but the boys trashed it and it's long gone... I just don't have any spare spoace to put anything that size. I need to do some creative thinking... 

27-5-2015 21:09:24  #25

Well... you could do what I do: place a typewriter on every available flat surface, incuding floors. It's not the best, but it's how I keep all 14 typewriters in a single 10x7 room 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

28-5-2015 09:31:32  #26

I don't know if this would work, but the Kallax/expedit can be mounted on the wall as well as the floor.  That would probably really affect the amount of weight that can be stored on them.  I sent hubby to ikea last night for some shelves to put above the cube.  They are not hung yet, but I will probably post a picture when they are.  We have a huge 5x5 cube Kallax on the wall opposite the typewriters for my ever expanding arts/craft supplies.  I'm in the process of covering the fronts of banker's boxes with quilt batting and colorful fabric, and adding file cabinet pull handles. I think it will turn out nice.  For the typewriter cube, I plan on filling the cubes with more boxes for storage, putting heavy full size typewriters on top, and the lighter portables on the shelves above.

The desk that you can see just the corner of in the picture (posted on another thread) is an actual old typewriter desk that belonged to my grandparents.  I refinished it, all except for one drawer that my mother scribbled her name onto when she was a child.  She recalls getting quite a spanking for that.  I need to find new/old pulls for it.  I took them off when I refinished it, and somehow lost half of them.

28-5-2015 09:46:44  #27

Which thread has your typewriter desk in it?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

28-5-2015 10:03:03  #28

Hm, I think it is 'what type of collector are you'.  It's only the corner that shows in the picture.  I'll take a better picture and post it here. It's not a fancy desk.  I'm sure it was very cheap when it was purchased because my grandparents were not very well off. It is special to me though!

Oh, and I guess now that I've googled 'typewriter desk' it may be a disappointment.  It's not the type with the special compartment for a typewriter.  That would be awesome.  No, this is just a plan desk that is sturdy enough to hold a typewriter. ;)

Last edited by Spazmelda (28-5-2015 10:26:42)

28-5-2015 10:12:53  #29

Okay, here is the desk (not usually so tidy, I spruced a little for the photo op)

And here is a close up of the drawer my mom wrote her name on

Last edited by Spazmelda (28-5-2015 10:15:41)

28-5-2015 20:59:38  #30

Oh, word of advice, use something to cover up your typewriters whenever you're not using them. I just use an old t-shirt since I have too many that I just throw on them when not in use. It's not the prettiest sight, but it'll keep the dust out and will keep you from having to constantly maintain them by cleaning it out.

(And is it odd that I got my shelves where I store a fwe typewriters on from Ikea too? Seems like a popular place for typewriter storage units)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera