You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-5-2015 21:10:33  #31

Re: Another trip to the antique mall

Yes, I actually got some clear plastic that I'm going to make covers out of.  I just have to get to it.

01-6-2015 14:13:11  #32

I'm enjoying playing with these new typewriters.  The Remington is not the most pleasant to type on, but I just took it off the base and cleaned the inside. Gave some parts a light oiling. They typebars were a bit squeaky when operating.  I didn't oil the segment,  but I mixed a squirt of sewing machine oil with some naptha and gave the inner parts of the type mechanisms a very light oiling. It seems to have made a difference.  I will type a page or two later and see if it's better. It is a very loud machine.

The Underwood, on the other hand, is just a dream to type on.  I can easily rank it as my best typer hands down.  The action on the keys is so... I don't know, smooth and easy, it's almost like typing on an electric. It has an elite typeface that is crisp and even.  Top notch.  I think I listed it as a No. 6 in the pictures, and maybe on this board, but that is obviously incorrect.  It is a Model S, and looks to have been made in 1943.  According to several sources I read, they stopped production for 1944 because of the war.

01-6-2015 14:35:28  #33

Only just got around to reading this thread - Great finds, and I love the desk!

13-6-2015 13:06:20  #34

I finally went to the local antique place and they had two typewriters.  One was a Royal KMM ($86) and the other was an Olympia - I'm guessing it was an SM3 by the picture I took (It was locked in a display case and I couldn't look at it) and they wanted $90 for that one, which had a case.

The poor Royal had its keys stuck together, but I was able to unstick them.  A lady came by and said, "It works.  All it needs is a little bit of air blown through it."  I said that it needed more than that.  She left after that.  I had a piece of paper with me and was able to run it through and it seems to work well mechanically from what I can tell.  It needs a new ribbon, of course.  I didn't buy it since I didn't know much about it or whether that was a good price for it.  I walked around a bit and didn't find any others.  By the time I walked by the stall where the Royal was, there was a sign on it that read, Do not play with.  The sign wasn't there when I was looking at it, but apparently that was in response to my looking.  Oh well.

Did the Royal KMM have glass keys? And no, I didn't get a serial number.

Last edited by colrehogan (13-6-2015 23:06:07)

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

13-6-2015 18:52:31  #35

$86 for a KMM is pretty steep in my opinion. If you could get it down to below $40, I'd say go for it since it works. Otherwise, don't go for it. And the KMM did come with glass keys.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

14-6-2015 07:09:07  #36

I wouldn't by a typewriter from anyone who wasn't happy for me to try it out.

14-6-2015 09:15:37  #37

Ha, I probably would have typed up a note on a scrap of paper and left it in the typewriter.

"I wasn't 'playing' with the typewriter. I was TESTING the typewriter.  Your attitude and note lost you a sale!"

Even if I wasn't going to by it... Hyperbole, accepable when dispensing snark...

Last edited by Spazmelda (14-6-2015 09:16:13)

14-6-2015 09:33:22  #38

Exactly.

09-8-2015 12:48:24  #39

Update: my daughter and I went back to this antique mall yesterday. I didn't get anything because the only one I wanted (Olympia SF De Luxe, cursive) was $150. I may go back later and make an offer if it's still there. There was an absolute load of typewriters there,  they even had a special typewriter display set up near the bathrooms,  probably 20-30 machines all told. Some over priced, some decently priced.

But... I did pick up the sexy beast RC Allen for someone else. Glad to see it off the shelf and going to a good home!

Last edited by Spazmelda (09-8-2015 12:50:20)

09-8-2015 13:39:46  #40

I am very jealous right now... 

I love the electric standards of the 40's and 50's because they look soooo nice! There was a late 40's Underwood All-Electric for sale in California when I was there, but it was quite a ways away and shipping would be impossible... And the fact that you found what appears to be a slightly uncommon model is prettt awesome too!

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera