You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-5-2015 23:06:33  #1

Extra spaces

What is the cause of a machine giving extra spaces while typing? Technique or mechanical? It comes and it goes.  It happens with all of my machines, regardless of make.  I have Royal QDLs, Royal FP, Remington Rand 17 and a Smith-Corona Coronet Super 12.

Last edited by colrehogan (26-5-2015 23:23:04)

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

27-5-2015 04:46:16  #2

Re: Extra spaces

It probably depends on how fast you type..

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

27-5-2015 07:27:57  #3

Erratic skipping is usually an indicator of an escapement that needs attention, and most often it's just a thorough cleaning and light oiling that will resolve it. However, it's pretty unusual that all of your machines would be exhibiting the exact same problem. What are your typing skills like? Do you rest a thumb(s) on the space bar by any chance?  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-5-2015 09:17:25  #4

I'm not sure what an escapement is? I do have my thumb on the space bar, but I didn't think I was pressing down enough to cause this.  I suppose that when I do get to typing faster, I see this more often.

27-5-2015 10:46:05  #5

The escapement moves the carriage forward with every keystroke or press of the space bar, and there are moving parts as part of its mechanism that if fouled with dirt or congealed oil can cause the carriage to move more than one space at a time, especially if you're typing faster and it has less time to react. It's not uncommon to have a machine or two with such an issue, but all the typers in your collection? That seems like a long shot.

To start you could experiment with your typing and carefully note when the carriage skips. Is it only when you're typing fast? Try to isolate your thumbs from the space bar. Is it possible that you're accidentally pressing the space bar on occasion when typing more quickly and just aren't aware of it? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-5-2015 13:17:45  #6

Hi Col

On a typewriter, your left hand moves the carriage from left to right. The mainspring and draw cord move the carriage from right to left. The escapement controls the carriage movement from right to left. Think of it like a wind up alarm clock. You put the energy into the mainspring by winding the key. The mainspring them rotates the hands aroung the dial and the escapement controls how fast the hand move. It's the escapement in a clock that makes the familiar tick-tock sound.

If you move the carriage of your typewriter to the right and gently press the space bar rythmically once a second (down for ½ second and up for ½ second), your ear will start to pick up the tick-tock sound of the escapement. A steady regulated typing rythm always works best on a manual typewriter, and as Uwe says, keep your thumb of the space bar when typeing words as this can prevent the escapement from properly resetting. One tends to end up with a tick-tock-tock scenario which causes an extra space now and then.

In a clock, the hair spring regulates the speed of the escapement, with a typewriter, your fingers on the keys and thumb on the space bar are what regulate the speed of the escapement. Hope this helps and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

29-5-2015 14:44:55  #7

Just thought of something. Sometimes, when you are resting your thumb on the space bar, and typeing with other keys, the space bar(At leats on my rmeingtons) tends to be easier to press. Therfore, cause unknown by you spaces. If its happening on all your machines, its most likley how you type/.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

30-5-2015 05:41:46  #8

There have been a couple pof threads recently dealing with the actual technique of typing: sittig position, hand position, how you strike the keys, etc. All these things have an effect on how the typing comes out on the page - some typewriters are better at compensating for bad technique (eg Hermes) and others, like Royals (as I'm finding!) make more demands on the typist to actually do it properly. I think it's less like typing on a computer in this respect, and more like playing the piano. 

If it's happening with all of them, and it's happening when ypu [ress the space bar, and if it's roughly the same number of spaces extra, it is likely to be your thumb-resting habit. 

When an escapement is skipping, it speeds ahead for many spaces. It might happen at regular intervals because one tooth on the wheel, say, is damaged or clogged. Or it could be random if all the teeth are a bit worn down. And it won;'t be anything to do with the space bar, it will be happening after typing any letter - because it's abotu the wheel, not the letter mechanism...

As my typing has improved (through deliberate practice, hours of it) I've got much better at identifying what I'm doing and where it's causing problems on the page. (Fixing those bad habits is another thing!)

30-5-2015 08:42:33  #9

I will try to pay closer attention.  Today I have the carpet cleaners coming and have to move stuff and vacuum.

31-5-2015 13:12:02  #10

I just left this on your other thread but will post it here just to keep the thread tidy... it's a blog post I was just reading that addresses this very issue.

I've certainly had this issue with the QDL I managed to get hold of the other week - my first Royal. I did a bit of googling and found a few people saying the same thing - but my main problem is the bunching. I think the 'a' thing in this blog post is a thing about pinkies, and I've certainly found that. 

Anyway, the other day I got fed up with it, and found a metronome site online, and typed to a metronome for about half an hour!  Started slow - which was hard, like trying to walk slower than feels natural - but speeded it up and got a real feel or how I do things, and eventually got to a speed that felt natural. Trying to type in a completely even, metronomic way is a great way to see what your quirks and foibles are! Where do you slow down unwittingly, where do you speed up. 

And you know what, while I was doing this exercise, the letters didn't bunch up or skip one single time. 

So there you go. My natural comfortable speed, btw, was about 230 strokes a minute, but by no means were all of those strokes correct! Another learning moment. 

Board footera