You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-5-2015 13:14:09  #11

Re: Extra spaces

PS - btw, in the comments, someone mentions that their Smith-Corona does this too. Just to say I have never had this problem on my Super-Silent. 

01-6-2015 03:18:45  #12

KatLondon wrote:

I've certainly had this issue with the QDL I managed to get hold of the other week - my first Royal. I did a bit of googling and found a few people saying the same thing - but my main problem is the bunching. I think the 'a' thing in this blog post is a thing about pinkies, and I've certainly found that. 

It's interesting that you would have an issue with intermittent extra spaces on a Royal Quiet DeLuxe. I actually noticed this as well on the Quiet DeLuxe I picked up recently. I also remember the beautiful Smith-Corona Sterling I had doing this on occassion. Oddly enough, I have not noticed this on the Smith-Corona Skyriter or Olympia SM8/9. 

I'd bet that these types of issues are likely a mix of mechanical design, maintenance (or lack of it), and typing technique.

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

01-6-2015 04:29:13  #13

I'm sure it's largely down to technique. Though some machines seem more tolerant than others. The Olympias seem very tolerant to me, and the Hermes ctually makes me type faster and better than on any other (besides the SM8/SG3). The best teaching machines, of course, will be the ones that demand to be struck in the correct way. I was surprised when I got the Royal, but since then I googled around and found that these are common issues with Royal - and that it types like a dream if you type on it properly! My metronome exercise did wonders, I'm still feeling the effects of it even when typing on here, 

Board footera