You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-5-2015 20:34:37  #1

Manual Campus Mark I typewriter

Does anyone know anything about this machine?  There is a local craigslist listing for one for $30.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/5042143609.html

I've only googled a little, but not finding much of anything. Thought I'd ask here while I continue to search.

27-5-2015 20:36:47  #2

Re: Manual Campus Mark I typewriter

Is it a rebranded skyriter?

27-5-2015 21:04:31  #3

No... I don't think it is. The shape and keys are different. That's a real head-scratcher, I've never heard of that machine before 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

28-5-2015 00:26:02  #4

I've never even heard of the brand. 

That said, it's a pretty neat looking little thing.

"[...] modern writing does not consist in picking out words for the sake of their meaning and inventing images to make the meaning clearer. It consists in gumming together long strips of words that have already been set in order by someone else, and making the results presentable by sheer humbug." - George Orwell

28-5-2015 00:33:19  #5

Maybe it's a Nippo? To be honest, I know next to nothing about them, but it looks similar to Nippos that I've seen pictures of.

28-5-2015 00:40:39  #6

I think we have a positive! Here's a Nippo rebranded as an "Atlas".Nippo's aren't terribly common, I'd snap that up if I were you.

28-5-2015 06:01:53  #7

Interesting.  I'm in the hole for typewriter expenditures.  It would be cool to have though.

28-5-2015 07:21:37  #8

It is basically a Royalite just like the ones made in Holland in the fifties which I rather liked. These were around in the UK in the sixties and they were popular in Honk Kong and similar places as they had a dollar and a pound sign. They were also sold by Boots the Chemists, they come up now and again on Ebay in the UK.

28-5-2015 12:22:39  #9

ztyper wrote:

No... I don't think it is. The shape and keys are different.

Depending on the customer, private label (re-brands) models often had slightly different shaped cases/keys to differentiate it from the manufacturer's own model.

The machine in question combines a Dutch-made Royalite with a Nippo case. If you look closely you can see that there are mechanical components on the machine that are identical to those used in the Royalite, which itself was borrowed design. Given the volatile manufacturing landscape of the '60s with so many typewriter manufacturers having been swallowed up by larger corporations, it's not a surprise that these types of machines exist. Sure, I suppose you could describe it as being a private label Nippo, but that leaves out the true origin of the beast. 

Given it should have a fairly nice type action (like the Royalite), and it's only $30, I wouldn't hesitate to buy that ultra-portable. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-5-2015 13:12:50  #10

Hm, I already have a Royalite and I'm out of money. I will pass on it.  Richard Polt sent me the listing for it (I was trying to get him to go buy the Remington portable to remove the temptation). He said he'd not seen one before, or hadn't seen many.  Can't remember exactly.  Just that it wasn't common and probably worth more than $30.

Board footera