You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-6-2014 23:05:13  #101

Re: New Member Thread

Hello and welcome!

The 35 is a good machine; I have one too.  I was surprised at how nice the typing action was, and with the keyboard tab setting, and so on, it is easy to use.

You have identified the great difference typing brings to one's focus on the work in hand!

See you around the threads here, and again, welcome.

Sincerely,
beak.

03-7-2014 02:57:42  #102

I've been keeping my eye out for my first typewriter over the past few weeks. I hadn't seen anything I'd consider buying -- mostly electrics, a Smith-Corona PWP, a few Brothers -- until yesterday. Yesterday I saw a lovely maroon SM2, aesthetically perfect and with case, but no idea as to the working condition. I gave it a pass though as it was marked down for 30 quid, which seemed a touch expensive to me. But I've got this nagging feeling now that I've given it a pass I'll never see another one like it. I'm somewhat inclined to go back and pick it up. Is £30 fair for something like that? That's like $60 for most of you.

03-7-2014 04:22:29  #103

I'd go back with a bit of A4 paper and try it out. It's hard to say what a typewriter is really worth in pounds shillings and pence - if you find that you love it and it's there and you can walk away with it and not have to worry about damage in the post, then I'd say go for it!

03-7-2014 23:31:37  #104

Just a reminder that this thread is dedicated for new members to introduce themselves and get their feet wet in the forum. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-7-2014 06:11:28  #105

Howdy folks,

I'm Dan, a 22 year old from a hideous little town in Kent. By day I'm an electric guitarist, music teacher and studio engineer; by night I'm an obsessive for anything old and groovy - classic cinema, vinyl, proper typography, and - yup - typewriters. I grew up watching black and white movies of men in their shirtsleeves, moodily smoking and clattering out half-baked ideas on enormous machines entirely unlike my late-'90s PC.

"That's the way you're supposed to do it!" I thought - real writers were smartly dressed, half-blind with whisky and memory, wrestling words out of a steel dream...

Then I sort of forgot about it, I suppose, until last week I saw the most beautiful typewriter in a local antique shop - an Optima Elite 3 in a sort of Mint Green colour, in its original case and with not a scratch on it. "Twenty-five quid," said the bloke. "Take my money, you glorious man!" said I.

Now, here I sit, stupidly across from my really absolutely shining Optima Elite 3, with the carriage that just won't stay in place no matter how much I swear at it, still thinking it's the best twenty five pounds I've ever spent.

09-7-2014 06:42:35  #106

Sixty-Six wrote:

Howdy folks,

Hello and welcome!   Never used one of those - I think they are the East German branch of the famous company Olympia (which are great typers).  I'm sure that after a weekend underneath it in boiler suit and spanners in hand, you'll have it working as it should.

Maybe post some pictures?

See you around.

Sincerely,
beak.

09-7-2014 09:13:46  #107

Sixty-Six wrote:

Now, here I sit, stupidly across from my really absolutely shining Optima Elite 3, with the carriage that just won't stay in place no matter how much I swear at it, still thinking it's the best twenty five pounds I've ever spent.

Welcome to TT! The Elite 3 is a great machine (one of my favorites) and the problem you described should be easy enough to fix. Start a new thread on the subject in the Repairs section and I'm sure that someone will help you out.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-7-2014 10:57:26  #108

Thanks very much guys; off to do that now!

11-7-2014 10:25:37  #109

Greetings everyone!  My name is Nathan & I just bought a Singer Professional portable typewriter at the flea market this past weekend.  Really enjoying using it, despite some issues it still has.  Hope to learn more browsing here!

"That's that writing, that's typing" - Truman Capote

11-7-2014 15:15:07  #110

Hey guys! Really want to get into vintage typewriters and start actually using them. Hope to learn a lot here and contribute!

Board footera