You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-8-2014 00:00:16  #121

Re: New Member Thread

Hi Jim, and welcome! No surprise that you need repair info if you own a plastic Corsair. They are nasty machines!  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-8-2014 07:59:07  #122

Hello Uwe !
Nasty?  I gladly accept your evaluation as you know more about typewriters than I do.  As I recall, the Smith Corona Corsair was about the least expensive typewriter at the time; in my case, I'll guess 1966?
It got me through school and university and I guess I'd like to repair this one (it's not my original unit) as I doubt there is much wrong with it.  (That's how some of my biggest adventures have started! )
What we used in school was all together different.  I mostly recall Royal machines, though there were others.  They all were the smoothest, clockwork machines in operation and their construction seemed bullet-proof.  I'm intrigued with the possibility of picking up any one of those machines that in those days was out of my league.
Best Regards.
Jim
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

03-8-2014 08:59:44  #123

Welcome sc1000!
We are of an age, but I did not have the benefit of typing classes at school - it was too 'posh' for that sort of thing, which I regret.   Funny that these days, with most people doing their own typing at a computer, that would have been a real help.

See you around the forums.  And yes everyone, I know it 'should' be fora, but it just doesn't sit right with me.

Sincerely,
beak.

05-8-2014 21:38:07  #124

Hello, all!

My name is Miguel, and I'm the author of a blog called Modernidad y Obsolescencia. I found this forum checking the stats the other day, and thought I'd join it.

A bit of a bio of yours truly would be like this: I'm a technologist by trade, translator and writer by chance, and a technological Luddite by choice. I was born in 1972 in Mexico City, and was the first in my class to use a personal computer. Today, I'm the last known typewriter user in my community. I'm convinced that using and enjoying the technologies from the past is a way to keep my mental health, taken to the limits by the unending change and updating demanded by the technological revolution we're living in. I consider myself a prolific typist, a voracious reader and a writer wannabe. I wrote a book on e-commerce, have a couple of unpublished novels under my sleeve (which I haven't finished typing yet... on a manual typewriter, no less!), and I like to spend my spare time expanding a huge list of things I wants to write about.

Like I said, I'm the author of the blog Modernidad y Obsolescencia, which is, as far as I know, the only blog in Spanish devoted (more or less exclusively) to typewriters.

06-8-2014 04:29:55  #125

Hello and welcome!
I have a couple of pen-pals in Mexico, and they tell me that many TWs can be found there for good prices, and I believe that a version of the Olympia SG was even made there.  My Spanish is not very good - well, it's terrible - but I'll have a look at your blog all the same.
See you around here again!

Sincerely,
beak.

06-8-2014 22:51:37  #126

beak wrote:

Hello and welcome!
I have a couple of pen-pals in Mexico, and they tell me that many TWs can be found there for good prices, and I believe that a version of the Olympia SG was even made there.  My Spanish is not very good - well, it's terrible - but I'll have a look at your blog all the same.
See you around here again!

Thank you, Beak!

Yeah, Olympia built the SG-3 model in Mexico for years. I have one of those giants in my collection - it was a NOS machine that still was packed in its original cartons (one for the chassis, and another one for the 22" wide carriage!) It works very nicely and I intend to keep it.

Most of my blog entries from 2012 are (were) bilingual (Spanish / English). Alas, I had a catastrophical loss of images some time ago and I haven't got around restoring the whole entries yet... but I added the Google translate button somewhere. Not ideal, but at least should give you an idea of what the entries are about.

10-8-2014 21:27:49  #127

Uwe wrote:

JanetLand wrote:

They're like tanks.

I swear the ones from the late '40s were made from recycled tanks!

The typewriter repair guy here in Vancouver "Polson's" is also of this opinion.

I have three SG-1s (I think I might have a problem).

18-8-2014 15:29:22  #128

Hello, i'm Luc, 22, from brittany in France I've always been interested in typewriters but never have the opportunity to have one.
I really love the historic dimension of typewriter and other object artistic or not that's why i will join a art restoration class in Paris.
Last week a friend gave me an old and bad condition Underwood N°5. 
I've started to restor it but i have some problem on the disassembling and for dating the year of the model, i hope you may help me in this work !

18-8-2014 16:44:10  #129

Oh dear... It's been a long time since I last sign up for a forum. First of all, this is a great database for typewriter enthusiasts. Thank you for that. I am a writing student from Turkey. I love typewriters because it feels "real" to write using it, just like pens and notebooks. So, guess that's all

19-8-2014 01:26:09  #130

Hello everyone,
I am new to typewriters, but I am a collector of fountain pens and I love stationery.
My wife recently showed me what she thought was an old piece of junk that she had first learned to type on, a Brother Deluxe 750tr. I had been secretly thinking about buying an old typewriter from eBay, but I got this Brother for free.
All it needed to get it working was a new ribbon and some dusting. I went to the local stationery store and when I asked for a typewriter ribbon it was.like something that they would sell every day.
Anyway, last night I sat down and typed my first ever letter. It is strange that I enjoy using this typewriter because my mother tried to teach me to type on a similar typewriter when I was a teenager.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

Board footera